Another US-05 experiment... temperature fluctuations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a Black IPA with US05 and fermented it at 52* for 2 weeks.

It was slow, and kept chuggin along just fine. Gave it 3 days at 68 to clean up once the krausen looked to drop.

Very clean beer, with a slight fruity pineapple/peach note. Not very noticeable.. Beer finished right where it should have as well.

Ironically, I fermented it right next to a lager I had at 49-50*.. The US05 stayed warmer on the fermenter than the lager (WY2278), the whole time.

I brewed a Black IPA with US05 and fermented it at 52* for 2 weeks.

It was slow, and kept chuggin along just fine. Gave it 3 days at 68 to clean up once the krausen looked to drop.

Very clean beer, with a slight fruity pineapple/peach note. Not very noticeable.. Beer finished right where it should have as well.

Ironically, I fermented it right next to a lager I had at 49-50*.. The US05 stayed warmer on the fermenter than the lager (WY2278), the whole time.

Thats crazy, I just used US05 for first time and I had no activity in the upper 50's...not even 60. Blow off didn't start bubbling until I let it up to around 63...I think popular opinion on here is that this yeast prefers mid to upper 60's for temp.

Back