Correct way to use pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I've never used pectic enzyme before, Just added yeast to cider, that's it.

So I'm planning to try to use pectic enzyme this time around with a 6 gallon batch of fresh pressed apple juice.... I just sanitize my carboy and added about half an ounce of the enzyme to the juice, then I understand I'm supposed to wait 24 hours before adding yeast...? Is this correct?
Should I have added the whole oz?

My next question and probably the most important to me at this point is do I put the air lock on top for the first 24 hours while the pectic enzyme does it's job or do I need to leave it uncovered?

I always airlock as soon as it goes into the carboy, though the pectic enzyme shouldn't produce any out-gassing.

LeBreton said:
I always airlock as soon as it goes into the carboy, though the pectic enzyme shouldn't produce any out-gassing.

Ok, cool.... So the temp is about 65.5 in my room... May drop to low 60's tonight, so when I get home from work tomorrow should I then add yeast or tomorrow early morning b4 I go to work?

It is one day later and in my 6 gallon carboy there is almost a full inch of white sediment on the very bottom of the carboy? I am assuming this is the pumpkin doing it's job but I'm very confused because I thought it rises to the top when it separates?
Or is this just sediment from the fresh pressed Apple settling to the bottom? If it is it's quite a bit different than the last ciders?
Did the pectic enzyme do it's job?
This stuff settles and does not sit on top?

It is one day later and in my 6 gallon carboy there is almost a full inch of white sediment on the very bottom of the carboy? I am assuming this is the pumpkin doing it's job but I'm very confused because I thought it rises to the top when it separates?
Or is this just sediment from the fresh pressed Apple settling to the bottom? If it is it's quite a bit different than the last ciders?
Did the pectic enzyme do it's job?
This stuff settles and does not sit on top?

"Pectic enzyme" doesn't settle out, as it should be dissolved in the must. Sediment does settle, though, so don't worry about it.

Yeah, that's the sediment dropping out. Pectic enzyme can work in as little as an hour in the right conditions.

Yooper said:
"Pectic enzyme" doesn't settle out, as it should be dissolved in the must. Sediment does settle, though, so don't worry about it.

Even though there was lots of white sediment on the bottom the cider did look quite a bit clearer.
But still not totally clear...

Can I add more Pectic enzyme later if I want a clearer product? Maybe at secondary?
I just added safale s04 today.

LeBreton said:
Yep, you can add more when racking to secondary if the batch shows signs of being stubborn.

Great! Thanks LeB
But one other Q...
Does it give any flavor change?
I keep seeing people around the net (when referring to introducing chemical additives to brew) say things like "and this doesn't change the flavor in any way". I just can't understand that? How could you add anything and not have it change things/flavor.

No flavor change that I've notice. Never straight tasted it but it seems pretty neutral smelling so it's probably also neutral tasting. Additionally, you're adding such small amounts that it gets diluted beyond what most people can discern.

LeBreton said:
No flavor change that I've notice. Never straight tasted it but it seems pretty neutral smelling so it's probably also neutral tasting. Additionally, you're adding such small amounts that it gets diluted beyond what most people can discern.

Roger That...
:mug:

Latest posts

Back