eating yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody34

Reaction score
Tried a finger full of yeast cake today after racking. My dad always claimed it's a delicacy in Europe. They can keep that crap in Europe because it was disgusting. Just an fyi.

Oh man, wow. Never thought to try the yeast cake. Maybe you are thinking of marmite? It's made from yeast but certainly not the same thing as trying the yeast cake. It's actually very salty.

Over the pond its usually preferred to drink brew unfiltered
Its only over here where we demand perfection that we filter and clear our brews.

Perhaps this is what he meant?
Ive done the same and tasted yeast but ive heard a completely different cause that it provides TONS of nutrients and vitamins.

Different beers have different yeasts. They all taste different.

There is a brewery in Belgium that serves a beer with a shot glass of yeast on the side. Some mix it in the beer, some just treat ike a shot.

Everyone has different tastes.

There is a brewery in Belgium that serves a beer with a shot glass of yeast on the side. Some mix it in the beer, some just treat ike a shot.

Love my belgians, this sounds very interesting.

Naturallight16oz said:
Maybe your dad was pulling your leg?

Nope. It was his beer. He tried it too. I made sure he went first. We had a good laugh but it was very bitter to put it lightly.

Tried a finger full of yeast cake today after racking. My dad always claimed it's a delicacy in Europe. They can keep that crap in Europe because it was disgusting. Just an fyi.

dognotsure1.jpg

If you aren't used to the yeast, you will literally fart your pants off the first few times.. Trust me.

gcdowd said:
Oh man, wow. Never thought to try the yeast cake. Maybe you are thinking of marmite? It's made from yeast but certainly not the same thing as trying the yeast cake. It's actually very salty.
Vegemite and marmite are made from autolyzed brewer's yeast. We consider autolysis to be one of the worst things that can happen to beer, they consider it one of the best things that can happen to toast. Ick.

woody34 said:
Nope. It was his beer. He tried it too. I made sure he went first. We had a good laugh but it was very bitter to put it lightly.
It's almost definitely the hops that made it so bitter. When brewer's yeast is eaten, it's just the brewer's yeast, without all the other crap that ends up in trub.

steber said:
They make brewers yeast smoothies. The hipsters in Cali love them.

That sounds revolting. Or do they just add a bit to smoothies for nutritional benefits, the way many places allow you to add protein powder? That might not be so bad. Though it wouldn't exactly be good, either.

Vegemite? North America's loss. You will either love or hate it.. I understand the love (I personally love it!) dont understand the hate.

Marmite is brilliant! I'm one of the few non British people that really like it. Surprisingly most of the other foreigners that I know like it are French!

I have had the shot glass of yeast at the DeKoninck brewery.
Love the beer, not a fan of the yeast shot.
http://www.dekoninck.be/en

Emjay, I believe its added into the smoothie and not just the yeast cake blended with ice--laxative anyone?

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Over the pond its usually preferred to drink brew unfiltered
Its only over here where we demand perfection that we filter and clear our brews.

Perhaps this is what he meant?
Ive done the same and tasted yeast but ive heard a completely different cause that it provides TONS of nutrients and vitamins.

Actually living "over the pond", I gotta ask: where do you guys get your information from? Not to discredit your sources, but: even though there are some unfiltered styles, the majority of beer consumers prefer the clear ones as every day drink and have a glass of unfiltered brew every now and again they drink as exotic treat. I've never heard of eating yeast as a delicacy neither.

My dad thinks they spread it on crackers? I now believe he's dead wrong about thr yeast cake but maybe there's some other by-product he's thinking of? Regardless, I've eaten my first and last scoop of yeast cake.

woody34 said:
My dad thinks they spread it on crackers? I now believe he's dead wrong about thr yeast cake but maybe there's some other by-product he's thinking of? Regardless, I've eaten my first and last scoop of yeast cake.

I think he's talking about marmite.

I didn't see an unfiltered beer in Sweden before I was 15, that one made the newspaper and they called it "fresh beer".
Nowdays it's a bit more common but 98% still drink the swedish version of BMC.

Back