Under pitching Potassium Sorbate and sulfite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajoha2003

Reaction score
Hi guy,

2 week ago I tried to stop my formation of cider. I under pitched the potassium sobrate and sulfite I think I calculated something wrong. I am not sure now how much of the staff I put in there. I have seen some fermentation in the air lock but for a week the gravity didn’t go down a lot only maybe 0.05 I was thinking the yeas only stopped reproducing and the are still active that why gravity when down slowly and the some activity so I decide to cold crash it in refrigerator after waiting a 2 days I racked it and dropped it to the refrigerator again. I am thinking to keg it.

Do I need to add any more of Potassium Sorbate and sulfite just in case if I decide to bottle it? If yes how much normal does ?

Is there any way to check if the yeas are still there?

Adding K-meta and K sorbate generally will not stop an active fermentation, only prevent restarting. Generally they are best used after your fermentation is complete and the yeast dropped; the additions allow you to add more sugar to backsweeten without fermentation kicking back up. As a rule, I would say you don't even need the additions if you're not planning on backsweetening...once you've reached FG, and it's stable for several days in a row, you can package it. Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but I would also note that if you do add metabisulfite and sorbate you will not be able to bottle carbonate...

Back