Safe to bottle in growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravegti

Reaction score
I have enough bottles for about half of my batch, which needs to be bottles soon. I have a few growlers around the house and I've heard you can bottle condition in them and I've also heard that's a bad idea. I'll throw this question out here. What are your thoughts on bottle conditioning in growlers? I have both the screw cap and flip top growlers available.

Also, what else can you bottle condition in? Would 2-liter soda bottles work?

I have done it before, but what you really need to do is get some more bottles or brew smaller. They are not made to hold that much pressure. The 2 liter bottle might work if you can get a good seal on it.

Where are you from I have a case of brown 650 you can have.

For growlers you want to use swing tops. Don't know about 2 liter soda bottles, but PET beer bottles are safe - just a matter of finding ones in 2L size. I myself used some 1/2 gallon and grolsch sized swing tops to save money, but Bell's Beer Supplies has a great deal on some 12 oz Amber Bottles: case of 24 for 8$

I've never done it, but growlers aren't rated for the kind of pressure you'd get. I suppose you might be ok carbed to 2-2.2 volumes, but I wouldn't risk it. If you can't get your hands on enough empties, buying a case or two of bottles isn't a bad investment. I had to do that once or twice before I stockpiled a collection of commercial beer bottles from various friends and family events. Until/Unless you move to kegs, you can never have too much glass.

I've heard of them exploding quite a few times because they aren't really made to hold the pressure. However, some people do it with fine results.

That being said, you're most likely going to get a few people posting that say "Don't do this or you'll mame yourself when it explodes as you walk past"

So if you want to try it, I'd suggest conditioning in something that will handle it if one or more explodes. Maybe inside a rubbermaid tote or something? FWIW I have read that the flip top ones are made with a thicker glass and can handle a little more pressure though.

Back