Possible to mend cracks/splits in MLT Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
I have two 10 gal round coolers that I have used as MLT's One split from heat and the other has two small cracks where I have tried to install sight glasses and over-tightened. Anyone ever tried to repair them? Maybe use a wood burner tool to "weld" the crack closed? Any other ideas?

My first thought was aquarium sealant. I used some around an leaky valve in my plastic home depot cooler and it's held up for 3 months now.

I have used industrial strength column adhesive on mine & 1yr & 20 brews later it's fine.

Haven't noticed any, let it sit for a week after applying then soaked in iodine solution.

well last night I enlarged the hole for my sight glass where the crack is from 3/8 to 1/2". It still leaving a small crack exposed, about 3/8" long. What about some type of food grade high temp silicone?

Well that sucks, any other ideas?

Silicon won't stick to plastic very well.

For some reason that made me think of that movie where the drill sergeant sang the cadence "because napalm sticks to kids". lol Yeah, I know, Issues.... I has em.

JB Water Weld will probably do what you need and I believe it's NSF approved too.

I found it at Home Depot by the paint.

Back