Wyeast didn't inflate! (schwarzbier)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagbardceline

Reaction score
Today I brewed a schwarzbier, OG 1.048.

I bought two packets of yeast because I haven't gotten to making starters.

It's currently in the fridge cooling down to 45F

The back of the Wyeast package says that one is good for a 1.060 beer but in the brew strong podcasts they seem to say 1 package is good for a 1.040 beer........

I oxygenated with pure oxygen.

What I'm wondering is:

Should I pitch one pack once it hits 45F and get a new package at my LHBS in the morning and pitch it 8 - 12 hours after the first pack?

Not pitch until I have both packages (15 - 16 hours)?

Just pitch one pack?

photovte.jpg

Thanks!

You need at least two packages to pitch at lager temperatures- five would probably be correct with no starter. If you didn't make a stater, you could pitch more yeast tomorrow if you have it available.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

Smacking though fun, is never really necessary.

Making the starter is all that matters, not whether or not the pack inflating. It's fine!!!

:mug:

Revvy - what I'm wondering is - I smacked but nothing happened so I'm worried that package might be dead / bad?

Yooper - do you think I should get a few more packs anyway? Otherwise attenuation and acetaldehyde problems?

This is my first lager...

Fnord
Make a starter, and you will see if you're yeast is viable or not.....Many smack packs don't inflate....so it's really NOT a good indication of what the yeast is doing or not.
Fnord

;)

Most of my Activators have inflated; a few have not. All have fermented good beer. The only yeast I've had that did nothing after it was pitched was my most recent batch. Pitched a package of Nottingham this past Monday with an expiration of 12/11 and......nothing. Waited 72 hours, took a hydrometer reading (read=OG) and pitched another pack, and off it went. It's happily bubbling away down there now.

Yeast is a living organism. The only ways to make sure it's going to ferment are either:

1. pitch and find out.

2. Make a starter and you'll know if it works or not before you pitch.

Back