Near Blowout Pushed Yeast Above Wort Line.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN2MT

Reaction score
I started an apfelwein in my 5 gallon carboy last night. I came home from work today to find the airlock full of juice and yeast, nearly blown off. I quick replaced the juicy airlock with another sanitized one, but now I have a bunch of yeast stuck on the glass above the wort inside the carboy. Should I do anything or leave it be? How might it effect the fermentation?:confused:

I started an apfelwein in my 5 gallon carboy last night. I came home from work today to find the airlock full of juice and yeast, nearly blown off. I quick replaced the juicy airlock with another sanitized one, but now I have a bunch of yeast stuck on the glass above the wort inside the carboy. Should I do anything or leave it be? How might it effect the fermentation?:confused:

It wont affect it at all! There are billions and billions of yeast swirling around in suspension so don't worry. I don't use an airlock for primary for wines, a sanitized piece of foil or napkin is fine, but if you use an airlock, you may find yourself cleaning it again and again!

Im following EdWorts Apfelwein recipe and will be keeping it in the same carboy for several months. It will calm down eventually, wont it?

Im following EdWorts Apfelwein recipe and will be keeping it in the same carboy for several months. It will calm down eventually, wont it?

Yes, pretty quickly actually! Once it gets to about 1.010 or so, it'll slow way down and just gently bubble. Probably- I've had some active ferments go to .990 in less than five days, so I'm just going with the odds that it'll slow down and then gently bubble. It might, of course.

Back