Brown Rice IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
Two months ago, I decided to experiment with brown rice syrup, after reading everyone's positive oppinions on it. An IPA wasn't the best choice for my first trial of BRS, but I had nothing but dark, mildly hopped beers on tap and I needed to fill the void.

3 Gallon Batch
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.015

1.25 lb Sorghum Dry Extract
3.00 lb Brown Rice Syrup
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min)
0.20 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] (15 min)
0.20 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (15 min)
0.20 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] (5 min)
0.20 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (5 min)

Overall, I'd say the recipe turned out like I expected, which is both good and bad. It tastes like grapefruit and pineapple juice, which is what I was trying to emphasize. My girlfriend has been GF for 10 years, so I wanted to showcase hops. The beer has zero body and no head, but I BRS was over 70% of my fermentables. I definitely want to try BRS at a much smaller percentage.

I would suggest maybe doing half sorghum and half BRS. I recently did 3 LBS of Brown Rice Syrup, 2 LBS of Rice Syrup Solids, and 2 LBS of sorghum and while the bitter taste is not there, you definately get a more pineapple taste (I couldnt exactly make the taste but now that you mention pineapple). When I add raspberry extract to the brew it almost tastes like apricott. Very weird but I think I learned from this batch. I think a couple pounds of malted buckwheat mixed with 2 LBS of BRS, 2 LBS of sorghum would probably make a pretty decent brew. I plan on doing some malting of buckwheat, millet and quinoa in the next few weeks. With a new baby, tax season, and regular life I dont have much time as I want!

I know Darklord and Lcasanova (sorry if I didnt spell those right) have brewed with BRS and I am planning on asking them their opinion on BRS...

But back to stout: I have attempted a stout 3 times now. All times the taste is very good but the darkest it has been is like milk chocolate. I have BURNED 3 lbs of buckwheat, used coffee, and drk chocolate and still just like mud color. I think that if you matled your own buckwheat, millet, quiona or even sorghum and then toasted it to a darker color you would have better success than me. the sorghum syrup is so damn light that it really lightens everything you put it in. I once had my steeping water BLACK and then added sorghum syrup and I was amazed how light it was after adding.

Back