Brew Supply Cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemleu

Reaction score
I can hardly wait to make the transition to all grain. Santa brought me a new 8-gallon pot, and I’ve completed my mash tun. I just capped my last 5 gallons of extract brew, and when I don’t have anything fermenting I get the brewing blues.

I don’t live in an area where supplies are readily available, so keeping supplies on hand is important. Besides having a 50 lb bag of Domestic 2-Row on the way, I’m also going to order some of my favorite Yeast, Safale US-05, and Notingham. This is where my experience ends. I’d like to keep some other basic supplies on hand. I’m looking for suggestions, i.e., specialty malts, hops, etc.

Looking for suggestions... What do you keep in your “Brew Supply Cellar?”

:mug:

It all depends on what kind of beers you like to brew.
If say you allways brew dark beers.....Get a bag of chocolate malt, or if every recipe you have has c40 in it...get a bag or so of it.
Personaly i store my grain in a 8 gal bucket. It holds a entire sack of grain and i just put a label on the bucket so i know what i have at a glance.

Also, You could start to stock up on hops. www.hopsdirect.com
Go there and basicly have fun. I went with leaf hops this year for kick and giggles....took a little bit to get used to but they work like a champ.

So basicly, If you can store extra grain, hops, yeast, you have the basic's covered.
Next step after that is collecting more carboys :mug:
Or if you are thinking about kegging....allways more kegs.

Hope this helps

Thanks – that’s good advice. I have been brewing ales, most of which have included these ingredients:

Specialty Malts:
Crystal Malt 60L
Crushed Chocolate
Munich Malt
Vienna Malt

Hops:
Willamette hops
Challenger hops
Galena Hops
Tennang hops

Would keeping a little of each be an overkill?

Just depends on how much $$$ you are willing to part with.
Generaly if you buy grain by the bag it is a LOT cheaper in the long run.
Hops are super cheap by the 1lb package.
Downside to hops by the pound, is some people spend a long time vacume sealing them in 1oz packages.
But each to there own..All depends on how much free time you have.
Personaly...I am lazy...Just keep them in the orginal bag...And since i brew every other weekend...by june i am guessing i will be out and i bought 5lbs of differnt hops.

With grain, Once you mill it, it will shorten the life of the grain. There is a lot of debate on how long it will last once its been crushed. SO if you are mail ordering all your grain that could be a issue for you.

If you borrow or have a mill.....Then go for it.. I have a bag of 2row, chocolate, pilsner, and munich...When i am ready to brew...Just grab what i need and go to a buddys and mill the grain.

Latest posts

Back