transplanting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I planted 4 rhizomes this year (2 Cascades and 2 Willamette). Both Cascades and one of the Willamettes came up and are growing, but they are growing relatively slowly and definitely need more sun.

When would be the best time to dig them up and transplant them to a sunnier spot? Fall? Spring? Anything particular I should know about the process?

Thanks.

I personally would not move them until early spring, if at all. Cascade usually puts the other plants to shame for growth. 1st year is all about establishing roots.

Yeah, but the problem is they just aren't getting enough hours of sun where they're at. One plant is 6 ft tall, if that, the other maybe 8 or so. We've had tons of rain and everything in our garden is going gangbusters, but these are just creeping along. I'll give them till the end of the season to see what happens, but I suspect they need a better spot.

I moved a number of rhizomes this spring and they all have done really well. I moved them just before they broke ground. You could move them in the fall as well, but if you do it too late you run the risk of an early frost affecting them before they take root in their new spot. I would recommend early spring.

Are you sure? I know it's best to plant bushes and shrubs and landscape things in the fall. I would think hops are the same.

Spring or fall are both OK. Generally fall is best for planting new plants and spring is best for transplanting existing plants though.

Back