NEED HELP - PID and gas valve setup for Brutus 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsocha389

Reaction score
Need all the help I can get for gas valve and PID purchase for my Brutus 10 setup. I am trying to put this together using the lowest possible funds (of course) but I have ran into a snag on which items to buy, here are my questions:
1- Gas Solenoid valve - which to buy? 120V or 12V and I pretty much can figure out a 2 wire valve but where does a three wire model (ASCO) THE THIRD WIRE GO?
2- PID Temp Controller - like this on ebay -

* PID SSR TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER FURNACE KILN OVEN New* - eBay (item 350227028535 end time Jul-22-09 21:04:24 PDT)

The main question is - I think the SSR voltage has to be high enough to supply the Solenoid with enough power - correct?
Would I have to run a Solid State Relay if the PID does not have high enough output?
Could someone share some wiring diagrams of their setup to help me out?

1) The third wire is for ground. If the 120VAC valves dont fit the budget you can always get a cheap step-down transformer and wire it in.

2) Go with the love controllers. They may be a few bucks more, but are WAY easier to setup, don't require any relays, and are smaller.

Hope it helps. :mug:

Edit: I see it's your first post, welcome to HBT!

Need all the help I can get for gas valve and PID purchase for my Brutus 10 setup. I am trying to put this together using the lowest possible funds (of course) but I have ran into a snag on which items to buy, here are my questions:
1- Gas Solenoid valve - which to buy? 120V or 12V and I pretty much can figure out a 2 wire valve but where does a three wire model (ASCO) THE THIRD WIRE GO?
2- PID Temp Controller - like this on ebay -

* PID SSR TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER FURNACE KILN OVEN New* - eBay (item 350227028535 end time Jul-22-09 21:04:24 PDT)

The main question is - I think the SSR voltage has to be high enough to supply the Solenoid with enough power - correct?
Would I have to run a Solid State Relay if the PID does not have high enough output?
Could someone share some wiring diagrams of their setup to help me out?

I would go with a 120 Volt valve so you don't need a transformer. The green wire is for ground. The PID controller on Ebay sounds like it will work just fine. It has a set of relay contacts built in that can switch 3 Amps which should be more than enough for your valve. All you need is a Thermocouple or RTD as a temperature sensor.

What is the pressure you are going to run the burners at?, if it is 10+ psi save a bit of money and use a 1/4" solenoid valve as it will flow more than enough gas for the burners.

With a 20 PSI source pressure the 1/4" solenoid will flow more than enough to feed the 3/64" opening in the burner jet. The 1/2" valves may work for those folks trying to support the burners with the piping, but 1/4" solenoids with 1/8"+ orifice will work well with 20 PSI gas and save you a few bucks. I fire a 100K burner with 1/4" OD tubing at 15 PSI with no problems, and run 2 burners from a 3/8" OD main.

Thanks for the heads up, just want to make sure that all works fine on brewday #1

I have two new Asco Red Hat Valves part # 8210G15 for trade or sale.

Make me an offer or trade. Looking for love temp controllers, barley crusher, plate chiller, or what do you want to trade !!

These are the identical valves used in the Brutus 10 only brass instead of stainless.
Buy $60.00 each plus shipping or free pickup

Latest posts

Back