store bought honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

like2brew

Reaction score
hello, was in the grocery store the other day and noticed a 5 pound container of US grade A clover honey for $13. is store bought stuff any different than other honeys? it may sound ignorant but was wondering:fro: its seems to be a good price to boot

While local or even non-local wild unprocessed honey is best, store bought honey is perfectly fine. Beware of bargain basement honey though because it may have water added. Just look at the thickness and if appears too thin, pass.

My LHBS has local unprocessed honey at like $3.50 for a pound countainer, and something like $27 for a 10 pound container (I think).

Seems to me, you should be able to find better honey for a comparable price. I mean, 5 pounds of local honey here, bought as single pounds is... $17.50. Even less if you buy the larger containers.

I would spare a couple extra bucks and buy quality. Why waste all that time making from sub-par ingredients?

i have used both store bought and local awesome honey and the good stuff wins every time

While I'm in the middle of my first mead experiment and by far I am not an expert on mead, I have been eating and cooking with local honey for years. I'll agree with everyone that the slight extra expense is well worth it. We have a whole foods coop that's affiliated with the larger stores, but very small. They have about 4 varieties regularly that they sell at $3.25 per pound. Another store has a huge variety of honey's, maybe 10, but they sell for closer to $4.50 per pound.

If you are going to put forth efforts to create a mead, and age it for a year or more, then you will want to spend the extra money on the honey.

Great honey makes great mead

If you need help finding honey then look for local apiaries and ask for bulk rates, or rates for how much ever you need.

I know my favorite local apiary is scared they will run out of honey before extraction in July and is going to increase his price, to $1.86/lb, still win win for me

Back