Primary from cooler to room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I finally got my 2nd primary ready to go but my problem is having only 1 cooler to use. I have AHS Blue Moon clone sitting in it at 65-67F for 1.5 week and its already hit the target FG. I want to keep it in the cooler until I hit 2 weeks then move the primary out and keep it at room temperature which is 70F.

I believe I should be ok since most of the fermentation will be done and a week at slightly higher temp should be ok for an ale? I want to double up my production with 1 beer in the cooler and another finishing up at room temp. I wouldn't do that to a lager though, I would keep it in the cooler for the entire duration and keep the temp around 50F.

for Ales, it is really most necessary for fermentation temps to be spot on for the first 2-4 days. After that, yes it is good to have them in the perfect range, but it will not make a huge difference.

Pivzavod - After active fermentation you can rotate it out, and 70F is not too high as it is so you will not notice any difference.

FWIW I brewed a LHBS Newcastle clone about a month ago when it was in the mid 80s outside, and to keep the power bill down, we kept the room at 77. I kept the beer fermenting at around 77 degrees. I used dry yeast (forgot which strain), but no off flavors or bananabombs... I'm sure keeping it at proper temps would be better for it though.

I recently made the "swamp cooler" and it keeps my beers in the 68-70 range, usually 70, and I have to replace the ice bottle twice a day from it melting so quickly. The good thing is I'm using such a large container that the water temps stay very cool in the closet they're in.

With my new cooler setup I dont even need to change the ice on daily basis to keep it below 70F. If I want it to be below 65F then I need to change it twice a day, otherwise it melts but the temp still stays between 63-68F.

Back