Hey Everybody - Look at my new Boil Kettle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
***EDIT*** Picked them up today - yes "them" - scroll down to post #32 for a photo

Yeah, I'm just showing off at this point - sorry - but it was just too good of deal to pass up. Heading down to Jacksonville this weekend to pick it up. It is a tipping 30 gallon SS steam kettle. I am going to have to get a bulkhead welded into it, but I am in hopes that won't pose too much trouble. After talking with some SS welders, they didn't think it would be...

kettle.jpg

'Grats!

So, I didn't get a chance to read that whole thread you sent me to before. What was the conclusion about heating this bad boy? Direct-fire, or are you going to try and fashion some kind of steam-delivery system?

OMG! You ARE turning your garage into a Pro brewery, aren't you?

What size batches are your moving up to now?

I'm not replacing my mash tun or hlt at this time - so the max I can probably squeeze out is around 20 gallons? haven't done the math yet...

But I now have plenty of wiggle room... woot!

I suddenly find myself filled with hate and envy. Damn you. I'd love to have a kettle like that.....You sure you don't want to turn it into a tippy dump?

That is an awesome kettle, and an awesome way to heat it as well, though you might be limited by the heat output of that burner, I'm not sure.

I'm not pretending to understand what goes on in that sick head of yours, but I would think that a beefy ball valve would be better suited to that enormous thing than the "dump" factor. That's alot of wort to be just dumping around!!! You're rediculous once again! :mug:

I'm not pretending to understand what goes on in that sick head of yours, but I would think that a beefy ball valve would be better suited to that enormous thing than the "dump" factor. That's alot of wort to be just dumping around!!! You're rediculous once again! :mug:

Thats is what the bulkhead I am having welded into it is for... although the tipping will be nice for cleaning, etc.

I'm starting to get my panties in a wad over this - I can't get the seller to contact me back... I was hoping to drive down to Jax and pick it up tomorrow, but obviously can't if I can't get ahold of the seller.

Well, I got ahold of the seller but missed my window to drive down there today. Looks like I will have to go pick them - yes, I said "them" - up either Monday or next weekend.

Turns out she has two of them - brand new... got them both. Woot!

Oh, I did misprint this as a 40 gallon kettle - its a 30 gallon kettle. I knew that from the beginning but just realized I listed it as a 40 gallon...

Now all you need is a small steam boiler and piping to make them usable, something in the 150K -250K btu 5-15 psi range should do. Trying to remember if the steam inlet was on left and condensate outlet connection was on right hand side, or if it was reversed. Most of the installations had a globe valve to regulate steam in to kettle and a trap to let condensate out.

I dont even want to know what part of your anatomy you had to trade for theese babies.. one kidney and part of your liver....when your nor brewing you could open a soup kitchen...i used to work in a hospital kitchen that used similar kettles to cook for 500 patients...

Please take plenty of pictures going forward of your mods and brew days! I am sure we all would love to see those bad boys in action.

I actually got a real tear in the corner of my eye. That's so beautiful!

whats the part number on that i would lookig at legions website but did not see them
saw plenty of Direct Steam Kettles thoe

JB, I just finished reading your Herms 2.0 post and then stumbled across this one. I have to say congrats, but I feel the need to compete here too. I don't have any fancy equipment or boiling kettles, but I do have a 13" stirring stick that I like to call.... MY COCK! :D

Keep making us proud with your impressive equipment, and I will keep my wife happy with mine.

Seriously though, the sh*& that you have come up with is incredible. Keep it up.:mug:

Back