Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for replying to an old post. I wanted to jump the gun and get an Irish red ready and bottle aged by st Patty's day. Brewing this one tomorrow and it's going to be my second brew! Can't wait and thanks for the recipe!

Just racked this into the secondary. It's my second brew and first time using a secondary. Got bottling day setup two weeks from now. Waiting till st Patty's day to crack one open. Say what is the co2 level you used on yours? Everywhere I read says 2.2-2.6 so I was going to shoot for around 2.4

Just racked this into the secondary. It's my second brew and first time using a secondary. Got bottling day setup two weeks from now. Waiting till st Patty's day to crack one open. Say what is the co2 level you used on yours? Everywhere I read says 2.2-2.6 so I was going to shoot for around 2.4

I keg first off. I have come to like 2.0 on most of my beers. 42F at 8psi. That permits me to fill a glass nicely with the line lengths I have on my system.

I typically NEVER followed the carbing guidelines when bottling. I always used 5 ounces by weight of corn sugar and bulk primed for the best results.

I never entered this for competition though.

Shooting for the middle is a good idea.

Bottled tonight and ended up with a gravity of 1.011. Tried the sample and it's very tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Will get a photo tonight! I was trying to save this for St Patty's day. However, I was accepted into a local pipe/drum band. Needless to say I've been sharing this with a few of the band members and enjoying this as a pre parade refreshment :) So far the reviews have been good!

Typically between 1.008 and 1.012

Just brewed this today. I used 6.6 lbs of LME which should've given me a starting gravity of 1.0475. I ended up with 1.054. I was under the impression that the steeping grains don't add fermenrable sugar? Steeped at 160F for 30 minutes. Could that be the source of the higher than anticipated starting gravity?

Just brewed this today. I used 6.6 lbs of LME which should've given me a starting gravity of 1.0475. I ended up with 1.054. I was under the impression that the steeping grains don't add fermenrable sugar? Steeped at 160F for 30 minutes. Could that be the source of the higher than anticipated starting gravity?

Definitely. Your LME could also higher than you thought.

Back