Epic STC1000 Fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
Yes if you just connect the heat circuit to it, But why? The double outlets are like 50 cents at the local hardware store? theres no diagram needed... take the black wire from the power source and feed it into the heat input and then take a black wire and wire it from the heat output to the outlet... and run the white directly from the powerin to the other post on the outlet...

the relays inside the stc are just switches... only one side of the wiring goes through them and it either allows the flow of power of cuts it off... get it?

In UK based so is black live or neutral in the States?

In the US, black is phase (live), white is neutral, typically bonded to ground in the service panel. In 3 wire systems, the second live wire or switch wire is usually red.

You have 2 sockets in that outlet. Is there a way to sever the "live" connection between the 2, so you wire one to the heat relay, and the other one to the cold relay?

If you can't you'll need a second outlet for the cold side. You'll have 2 sockets for each then.

Your STC-1000 is 240 Volt, right? If not, it will blow when you plug it in.

In UK based so is black live or neutral in the States?

This has been a pet peeve of mine since the day I discovered HBT. Put your location in your profile! At minimum the country (state) and optionally the city.

I really wish the site forced that.

Thanks for that.

As for location, didn't even know you could do that on HBT, but will update my profile.

Whilst we're talking pet peeves, the thing that annoys me the most is how everything is in Fahrenheit. All but 3 countries in the world use celsius. Maybe you guys should catch up ;)

Don't want to start a p!issing contest, but HBT is a US based site, with most members being from the US. Since most of the US brewers use US customary units, that's what you'll see here.

I was born in Western Europe and grew up with metrics. The UK was the classic exception at the time, and regarded weird. When I moved to the US at age 30 I noticed I better started to think in US Customary Units or not being able to communicate. Within a few years the US system had became second nature to me, but I totally agree that metric is way easier to work with when doing conversions. Since the UK adapted the metric system, I'm sure many who grew up with it, from early childhood, are pretty much native to it. Much of the older garde however still thinks in Imperial. For those native in metrics one can see clearly when someone doesn't think natively in metric language.

And yes, I've been in the UK many times, and would dread, as much as you do, the days beer won't come in pint glasses anymore. ;)

Banter ;) long live the pint!

Thanks for the advice on wiring. Decided to make the hole bigger and use two single sockets as before. Nearly electrocuted myself last night so didn't want to take the chance.

About to turn it on now I've redone it. If you don't hear from me, raise up a glass and assume I've gone to the big pub in the sky!

Please stay safe. 110V tickles beyond comfort, but 220/240V is a lot more ferocious. Either could kill you.

Using 2 single sockets prevents a lot of questions and potential wiring errors. The US duplex receptacles have a metal bridge that's easy to remove creating 2 separate sockets.

When in doubt, ask. :mug:

Back