Torrified wheat / wheat malt 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my Wheat beer and ran out of my usual wheat malt 6 row L2.2 .

The only thing I could find locally is Bries Torrified Wheat Malt L2.0.

I don't know the difference in the two.

My receipt calls for 8# of wheat malt, using the torrified wheat should I adjust my receipt any? I have 5# and plan on just adding the 3# of Torrified to my regular wheat.
Does anyone know what is the difference in Torrified wheat vers. regular 6 row wheat?

Thanks
Don

from the Home Brew Wiki:

Torrified Wheat

Raw barley that has been "popped" open to open kernels Used in place of raw barley for faster conversion and higher yields. High in haze producing protein

* Type: Grain
* Origin: US
* Yield: 79.0 %
* Potential: 1.036
* Color: 1.7 SRM
* Max in Batch: 40.0 %
* Moisture: 4.0 %
* Protein: 16.0 %
* Coarse Fine Difference: 1.5 %
* Diastatic Power: 0.0 %
* Recommend Mash: TRUE

EDIT: although, i think it should say raw "wheat" but oh well :D

it's good stuff. i've used it a couple of times. i recently used some in my Black Wit :)

i say go for it! i would make sure you have some rice hulls, though. that stuff can get incredibly sticky.

my LHBS dude told me today that he hasn't seen 6 Row used for the past ten or fifteen years! I did some research on the wiki and saw that 6 Row is better for converting adjuncts, so i thought it would be perfect for a Cherry Wheat that I'll be brewing tomorrow. He was helpful, but basically said there was no "one-trick pony" way to make this style of beer. Is 6 Row obsolete?

most of briess specialty grains are made from 6-row. 6-row is a barley. i don't think there is such thing as a 6-row wheat.

6-row:

Hordeum5.jpg

2-row:

2row.jpg

One big difference between wheat malt and torrefied wheat is the diastatic power:

Wheat Malt = 74%
Torrefied Wheat = 0%

So, when switching to an unmalted wheat be sure you've got enough highly-enzymatic base malt to convert it. Randy Mosher gives details for a cereal mash using highly-enzymatic US 6-row malt to make a Wit in Radical Brewing. I think Papazian has details on a cereal mash, as well.

US 2-row and either Belgian Pils or Pale should have enough power to convert roughly their same weight in torrefied (or any other unmalted) wheat. British malts typically have less enzymes so are not quite as good in terms of starch conversion in adjuncts.

all wheat is 6-row if you will.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Wheat_P1210892.jpg

my LHBS dude told me today that he hasn't seen 6 Row used for the past ten or fifteen years! I did some research on the wiki and saw that 6 Row is better for converting adjuncts, so i thought it would be perfect for a Cherry Wheat that I'll be brewing tomorrow. He was helpful, but basically said there was no "one-trick pony" way to make this style of beer. Is 6 Row obsolete?

Not at all. 6-row barley is great for adjuncts and has more husks to help prevent a stuck sparge. If I'm doing a grain bill with a large amount of wheat or rye, I'll use 6-row as opposed to 2, just for that reason. Also, It's available at every HBS I've ever seen online or in person. Further, I believe BMC use 6-row exclusively.

I've had success with torrified wheat, but make sure you do three things:

Use rice hulls
Mash for at least 90 minutes
Add six row barley malt

or you may end up with a starchy mess like I did before I figured it out. Also, clean it out of your mash tun as soon as you're done or it will turn to cement, rice hulls or no.

I've been on the Coors tour and they only use 2-row. AB uses a mixture of both.

I know they started using 6-row after brewers started coming to America because it was plentiful and cheaper. I remembered that, well I guess at least BM still use it because it's cheap. Also, it would have more diastic power to convert all that rice they use. :(

After using torrified wheat in your brewing recipe, save it in the fridge and eat it for breakfast. Heated with a dash of salt and a little whole milk or half & half, it's as good as any cooked whole grain cereal gets!

Back