plasticy taste in kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
i've got two beers in my kegerator carbing. they've got about 6-7 days to go but have a rubbery taste. one of my last beers in the setup had the taste but the other on didn't. i changed my lines on that side and now both taps have this funky taste.

i tasted one of the beers last week and it didn't have this taste. also, after a week of carbing it seems like they would be a little more carbed then they are? maybe a leak??

What kind of beer line are you using? Is it the real deal, food grade stuff? What did you use to clean the lines before tapping the kegs, if anything? Picnic tap, tower, or shank and faucet?

on the faucet end i have beverage line. i ran starsan threw the lines before i hooked up the tap. on the gas end is some nylon line(i think) i got at the hardware store. i've got more beverage line, maybe i could put that on the gas side?

nylon or vinyl gas line? i'm wondering if your gas line is bleeding off that funny 'new vinyl hose' smell which would probably get into your beers.

yeah, i'm thinking that right now. i'm going to switch the lines with the rest of my beverage line when i get off work. my girlfriend is going to turn it off. a week ago i wasn't tasting this at all.

i was thinking i'd bleed out the co2 and just try it with the different line. maybe i can salvage these beers. shoulda put more thought into my new kegger!

anyways, i went to replace my gas lines and got out the extra 10' of beverage line i had. took a wiff of the brand new line and smelled what my beer tastes and smells like. i poored out a cup or two then had a sip. seems like it washed a lot of that plastic taste out. there is no scent on the other lines. guess i didn't clean them well enough. i've since disconnected the bev lines.

any ideas of getting rid of that funk. i'll probally force some hot water then sanitzer threw them again. maybe just hot water. idk?

Back