Do you salvage the yeaties stuck to the side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
After a rather nice vigorous krausen, I have a lot of yeast residing on the sides of my carboy. Does anyone swish to try to retrieve these or is it really necessary?

Yes some people try to get those yeasties off the sides by swirling, exepcially if they are seeing a "stuck" fermentation. It would not hurt to try to get the yeast back into the wort/beer, just try to keep areation to a minimum.

Yuck! That krausen residue is some bitter nasty stuff and is not just yeast! I try and avoid getting that junk in my beer at all costs!

Here is a quote from John Palmer's book, How To Brew, on the subject of stirring the krausen residue back into your beer. It's in the "Common off-flavors" chapter.

The brown scum that forms during fermentation and clings to the side of the fermentor is intensely bitter and if it is stirred back into the beer it will cause very astringent tastes. The scum should be removed from the beer, either by letting it cling undisturbed to the sides of an oversize fermenter, or by skimming it off the krausen, or blowing off the krausen itself from a 5 gallon carboy. I have never had any problems by simply letting it cling to the sides of the fermenter.

Yeah, nuff said.

If it happens to fall back through the beer in the fermenter, then there is nothing you can do. Unless you were to skim it off as it was produced. But this gives rise to potential infection, so most just don't bother, myself included.

But to scrape it back in??? No way.

Um, yeah, note that the poster who says that "it couldn't hurt" to swirl the crusty crud back into the beer calls himself "Yeast Infection".

Evan! said:
Um, yeah, note that the poster who says that "it couldn't hurt" to swirl the crusty crud back into the beer calls himself "Yeast Infection".

opinions are like ********, everyones got one. But do not go to the personal side of this Evan!

As I said some people, people on this forum, do that, if they have stuck fermentation. Dont read into it anymore that what was stated bud. Im sorry im not a strict follower of the Palmer cult.

Search "How I cured my Stuck Fermentation...(No, not beano)" and thats what Im refering to.

Yeast Infection said:
opinions are like ********, everyones got one. But do not go to the personal side of this Evan!

As I said some people, people on this forum, do that, if they have stuck fermentation. Dont read into it anymore that what was stated bud. Im sorry im not a strict follower of the Palmer cult.

Search "How I cured my Stuck Fermentation...(No, not beano)" and thats what Im refering to.

Chilly chilly chilly, brother. 'twas a joke, nothing more. :mug:

Think about nature for a minute...it does nothing to adversely affect itself.

Now, if nature had intended the hop and protein oils from the brew to be such an important part of the equation that residue would be in the brew.

As such, it is not. And it should remain so...;)

Translated: It's sludge.:D

Alright guys.. have a home brew.

Mr. Infection. People swirl to resuspend yeast that have flocculated out down into the trub cake, not to wash the ring of gunk off the sides of the fermenter. The majority opinion around here is leave it alone.

when the original poster said washing yeast off the sides of the carboy, all that came to mind is a thread by Biermuncher https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26860&highlight=beano

Next time I will present my information/sources in a more exact way.

I should have said.
" In some "extreme" cases where people believe that they have a stuck fermentation, they will try to get the "beached" yeast/krausen back into the beer. BUT, this can give unpleasant off flavors to the beers, as described by John Palmer. Therefor, do not do it unless it is ablsolutely necessary to fix a stuck fermentation, at the risk of giving off flavors to your beer."

thanks fellas, sorry for posting any wrong info.
todd

My suggestion, Recycle yeast off the bottom of the primary, as soon as Krausen stops. Keep it in the fridge, but not longer than a week.

Back