first batch in the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spokaniac

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch Saturday. Checked the gravity and it was still 1.013, same as it was last Sunday. Am thinking I need to buy a bucket for next time. My kit came with 2 carboys. As I was trying to tilt the carboy and keep the siphon going to fill up bottle #48, the bottle tipped on the floor and knocked over # 46 and 47. Luckily I saved most of it and ended up with 46 bottles. I miscounted my empties and had to use a couple of clear coke bottles, but figure I'll drink those first when I "check" the carbonation levels next week. Definitely need to wrangle up more bottles too.

it was a Pale ale kit that came with the LHBS included with the kit. Had some crystal malt for steeping, a can of LME, some DME and malto dextrine, with cascade pellet hops.

Yet another reason I don't like carboys. The openning is just too small to be practical. & my plastic FV's all have spigots to make things even easier. Congrats on bottling your 1st batch.

After one week, carbonation is weak and tastes a little off. not bad enough that I didn't drink it all though. Looking forward to seeing how it improves over the next few weeks.

I really enjoy tasting a beer through the conditioning process to see how they change.

And the only thing I use a carboy for is a bright tank....that's just how I roll.

Congrats.

Give it a couple more weeks and the flavor will change for the better. Being your first brew, check one each week so you can be convinced that it is best to wait.

Definitely get a bottling bucket and read the sticky by Revvy in the bottling/ kegging section. Lots of good tips in there to make bottling much easier.

look here .... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Congrats. I popped my first brew ever on Sunday. Made the Pats win that much more enjoyable. I now have 2 fermenting and I'm looking at a third

I love my glass caboy. You get to see it all going down. Just siphon off into a bottling bucket and all is good.

Already have a plan based on what I've read here and my own ideas.
Going to make a stand to hold the bottling bucket with a short piece of hose to the bottling wand. Have the bottling wand clamped to the stand and held high enough that I can get the bottles in and out with enough clearance. Then just slide the bottle under the wand, lift it against the wand until its filled, lower it and grab the next. With a helper to cap and stack them in the case, it should go pretty quick.

That's a pretty good plan. But here's yet a 3rd,go to my profile,& watch part 1 of my bottling video. No bending too far down,little or no reaching above the shoulder,& everything in arm's reach. You can sit down & be comfortable. And at my age,with a bad L2 disc,carpel tunnel,arthrits,etc,it's def way better. Goes even faster when my wife & I split up filling & capping.

Finally got to watch your vids. Looks like what I was thinking except for mounting the bottling wand so it stays stationary. Then I'd be able to just lift the bottle up onto the wand until its filled and lower it to stop. Less chance of the the tubing flipping around on me. :mug:

finally after 4 weeks it is looking and tasting great.

IMG_20120210_204507.jpg

Back