How do I adjust the flame on my burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I have a turkey fryer setup with a cast iron burner.

The flame, even with the regulator set low, has a lot of orange in it.

How do I adjust this to get more blue and less orange?

FYI, the orange flame is both with and without my kettle on it.

There is a bolt in the middle of the burner but I haven't messed with it. I'm thinking I might be able to tighten/loosen that to adjust the flame?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stock picture of my cast iron burner is below.

burner.jpg

The two bolts in the back (around where the propane hose screws in) hold the air-flow regulator. Really simple: bigger holes for more oxygen, smaller holes for less. Adjust between gas and air flow and you'll get the blue flames you want.

Just to clarify, to adjust the plate do I loosen the bolts and twist the plate either right or left until I get blue flame?

Thanks again for the help!

Resurrecting an old thread: Can someone post a picture of exactly what a perfect flame looks like on this BG10 burner? Both with a kettle on the flame, and without would be really helpful!

Resurrecting an old thread: Can someone post a picture of exactly what a perfect flame looks like on this BG10 burner? Both with a kettle on the flame, and without would be really helpful!

You want a blue flame, that's all that matters.

I have this burner; and even with the plate wide open I've never been a to get a nice blue flame.

It would barely stay lit before I disassembled it and filed open some of the holes that where restricted. Even now it will have no flame on about a quarter of the surface.

All that said, it still heats up 5 gallon batches without much delay and will adjust down to maintain a gentle boil.

You want a blue flame, that's all that matters.
I just replaced my rusty original burner with the Bayou BG10 pictured above. I was able to easily get a great looking blue flame from it, but it had no power. It took almost 30 minutes to get 5 gal from 155F to boiling, then could barely keep the boil going, I never had this problem when my old burner was clean and working well. The tank and regulator froze up, have had the tank do this before but gently rocking it always solved the problem. Any ideas?

Back