flying dog raging ***** clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradiswhoibe

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
a
Yeast Starter
a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
a
Final Gravity
a
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
a
Color
a
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
a
Additional Fermentation
a
Tasting Notes
k
http://hopville.com/recipe/426097/i...ing-dog-raging-*****-clone-2010-12-06-version

Came across this recipe you guys think its worth a try. I am new to brewing and this would be my first batch let me know what you think of the recipe

Posted recipe is extract. Does anyone have an all grain clone recipe. It's a pretty damn good beer.

swanwick said:
Posted recipe is extract. Does anyone have an all grain clone recipe. It's a pretty damn good beer.

Just replace DME with 14 lbs 3 oz of 2-row is what Beer Smith says.
Also this is more of a Imperial IPA than a Belgian.

I'm drinking this rite now and it's pretty Danm good. Very close to the real deal and it's only 4.5 weeks old. I'll nurse it and see how it taste in a few weeks.
Cheers!!

Am I reading the hops schedule from the link wrong?

8 ounces of hops total, with 76.5 IBU's? I plugged this into beersmith and it gave me something like 125 IBU's.

from the link under ingredients:

hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.5 Warrior pellet 15.0
boil 20 mins 1.5 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 20 mins 1.5 Columbus pellet 15.4
boil 1 min 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Columbus pellet 15.4
dry hop 5 days 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
dry hop 5 days 0.5 Columbus pellet 15.4

1.5 ounces of warrior for 60mins(5gals) seems to push between 65-100+ IBU's depending on what calculator I use(beersmith2/hopville/brew365/etc). This is killing me, what am I doing wrong here?

Don't know the yeast strain they use, but I would think using wlp530 or harvesting FD's El Diablo from a couple bottles of their wit would get you that dried out Belgian yeast character.

imwill said:
1.5 ounces of warrior for 60mins(5gals) seems to push between 65-100+ IBU's depending on what calculator I use(beersmith2/hopville/brew365/etc). This is killing me, what am I doing wrong here?

Make sure your your boil volumes , batch size etc. Are correct. Only thing I can think of.

I'm giving it a try tonight. Pretty big fan of the brew hope it comes out close. Just pulled a 2liter starter off my stir plate and refrigerated it.

matt2778 said:
I'm giving it a try tonight. Pretty big fan of the brew hope it comes out close. Just pulled a 2liter starter off my stir plate and refrigerated it.

Which yeast? Belgian Ardennes? Gonna do this one again soon. Last batch was great and didn't last long enough. This one is probably the only Belgium Imperial IPAs I've ever had.

we brewed this a and kegged it last week... Serving it on Sunday for the game, will have notes then.... cant wait

Love this commercial beer and they no longer dist to Iowa. Good luck! If it goes well post again and I'll make it next.

Iove 3522 in the Belgians I've done. Spicy.

Which yeast? Belgian Ardennes? Gonna do this one again soon. Last batch was great and didn't last long enough. This one is probably the only Belgium Imperial IPAs I've ever had.

Lhbs was out of wyeast 3255 so I used wlp545 which is their Belgian Ardennes strain. Really hoping this one comes out good as several of my beer snob friends are big fans of raging *****. So far so good my gravity numbers are spot on.

matt2778 said:
Lhbs was out of wyeast 3255 so I used wlp545 which is their Belgian Ardennes strain. Really hoping this one comes out good as several of my beer snob friends are big fans of raging *****. So far so good my gravity numbers are spot on.

I'd add a little sugar just to make sure it dries out enough. Pound will do. Or even honey.

Wow wlp545 is a beast of a yeast. I pitched at 66 with a 2 liter starter and it went crazy. Never had a fermentation this vigorous. I let it come up to 72 over 4 days and checked the gravity (1.076-1.010 in four days!). I had to use a blow off because it would bubble the sanitizer out of my airlock in a matter of seconds. Even my blow off jug was covered in a pile of foam. I'll give it another few days and see if I'm finished, but so far so good.

I took a shot at a clone using Wyeast 3711 and ended up with a deliscious, dry IPA with lots of yeast aroma. I used Willamette at ~20 minute, 10 min and dey hopped 2 oz. It wasn't an exact clone but a damn good brew. It's on my "brew it again" list.

Well I took a few bottles of my clone to party this weekend and they happened to have a twelve pack of raging *****. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how close my clone was to the original. While not exactly the same it was close enough that wouldn't alter the recipe for the next go round.

I was considering tying to make a more sedate version of this beer: cutting the alcohol down to 6%. Also, the flying dog website says the IBU's of the beer is 60, so maybe cutting back on some of the hop additions? Any thoughts? I'm kinda new to making my own and/or tweaking recipes. I do love this beer, though, and cloning it would be awesome.

kupula said:
I was considering tying to make a more sedate version of this beer: cutting the alcohol down to 6%. Also, the flying dog website says the IBU's of the beer is 60, so maybe cutting back on some of the hop additions? Any thoughts? I'm kinda new to making my own and/or tweaking recipes. I do love this beer, though, and cloning it would be awesome.

So you want a 'moody *****' rather than a raging one?

I'd scale down the bittering units in equal proportion to your alcohol reduction.

hah, moody *****. I like it. Here is my attempt at a toned down version: http://hopville.com/recipe/1197649/american-ipa-recipes/flying-dog-raging-*****-clone.

kupula said:
hah, moody *****. I like it. Here is my attempt at a toned down version: http://hopville.com/recipe/1197649/american-ipa-recipes/flying-dog-raging-*****-clone.

Looks tasty. I tend to shoot for BU/GU of around 1 when going for something hoppy.

If you don't have an immersion or plate chiller you might get more bitterness out of those 1' additions than the software is estimating.

just wanted to chime in and say I did a clone, and used wyeast 1388, and IMO it was the perfect yeast to use for this beer.

noslenwerd said:
just wanted to chime in and say I did a clone, and used wyeast 1388, and IMO it was the perfect yeast to use for this beer.

English ale yeast?

Never mind that was 1338 I looked up. Damn numbering!

Back