Fermentation around loud noises

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I recently moved into a loft/practice space. We have a full drumset set up as well as full guitar/bass gear set up.

I want to start brewing here - we have a kitchen and everything the only thing i'm concerned about is all of our music gear.

Do you think that any of this could disrupt fermentation?

I was specifically thinking of the kick drum and the bass amp (we use an 8x10 cab).

It doesn't seem to me like it would have an affect, but I honestly have no idea.

I'd say try a couple batches there and see what you get for results.

I think it would be awesome! I am sure the yeast will love the rhythm. Whenever you make a great beer you can tell your friends your brewhouse secret is that your serenade your yeast while it is fermenting.

I had fermentation buckets in a room I was playing music in and had no noticeable difference.

I would think that if anything it would make a better beer by preventing stuck fermentations with highly flocculent yeasts. The only disruption I can imagine is that things may not settle out as well in the later stages of bulk conditioning. Then again, it may assist in settling by vibrating things down like in concrete.

SnallygasterBrewery said:
I'm reminded of plants that supposedly grow better around music. Then I think of Little Shop of Horrors. Watch out! It's a trap!

Mythbusters tested this and I think they got a Plausible when the music genre was hard/death metal. What genre of music do you play?

The only brews that this will affect are Lambics and sour ales that use a pellicle forming yeast - I am assuming that you are not (at this stage) brewing those.

I think it would be awesome! I am sure the yeast will love the rhythm. Whenever you make a great beer you can tell your friends your brewhouse secret is that your serenade your yeast while it is fermenting.

I had fermentation buckets in a room I was playing music in and had no noticeable difference.

Sweet, thought so! My fermentarium is in my studio and I constantly have bands asking me what the fu^! is up with all the "lab equipment" lol.
I tell them that's where all my inspiration comes from..:rockin:

As far as disrupting the trub, I don't really think it would be that bad. Haven't discovered ill effects yet! I also name my beers for the songs that are played while they are fermenting. One ended up being called, "Deathbrew" lol! It was a light lager rofl.

someone asked this question in 1953 but unfortunately you have to pay to find out the results. not even an abstract. boo.

Effect of the low frequency sound on alcoholic fermentationhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13093718

found this:
THE RESEARCH OF LOW-ULTRASONIC ENERGY AFFECTS TO YEAST GROWTHIN FERMENTATION PROCESS
http://http://pdfcast.org/pdf/the-research-of-low-ultrasonic-energy-affects-to-yeast-growthin-fermentation-process

it says it can increase fermentation activity. although an 8x10 cab is badass, it's probably not ultrasonic :D

ARGH!! Even with unlimited access to all journals related to health/medicine/etc the database for that journal only goes back to 1967!!! I thought I was on to something...

As an audiologist I strongly recommend you have your yeast wear ear plugs while you play though, God only knows how you could fit hearing aids on a yeastie beastie (let alone 100 million of them)

Power chord porter
Mackie marzen
Shurefire Brown sugar lager

All have been brewed lol. Clients really love the idea.

IPA Major
Pale Ale Minor
Suspended Saison
Diminutive Nut Brown

Yeah, it just goes and goes...

You guys are so silly.

You play Luther Vandross or James Taylor during the, er, reproductive phase. After they've reproduced, just plop the carboy in front of the TV.

I just want someone to tell me why Northern Brewer kits tell me to put my fermenter in a QUIET, dark space.....

jd3 said:
I just want someone to tell me why Northern Brewer kits tell me to put my fermenter in a QUIET, dark space.....

I've heard some of their kits actually suggest a certain style of music... seriously

I think the "quiet" thing though mainly just means some place where it will be left alone.

Back