Home Brewing is booming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I work part time at a craft beer store that has gone into the Home Brewing business - I'm sort of a consultant.

We purchased 8 kits and put them on sale 2 weeks ago.

GONE!!! All 8 sold and we ordered more - Home Brewing is booming in Wisconsin!

That's awesome. Be careful when ordering supplies. Realize that it is the holiday season, and many if not all of those may have been gifts for others.

That's awesome!

We're seeing a similar trend 2 states over. My husband and I started a brew club in Bismarck in 2008. Just about every meeting gets a new face that's looking to start brewing their own.

Make your money off kits while you can! Soon enough they will be making their own recipes!!!!

Ya, it's holiday season. I was chatting with the owner of the LHBS here in Tempe. He said it's like this every November/December, then they stay busy with all the newbies in Jan/Feb, and then it tapers off some.

I asked him if he thought a lot of people who started stayed with it. He thought so, but it isn't for everyone. You definitely have a desire to want to do things yourself that you could buy elsewhere (that DIY mentality).

Home Brewing is booming in Wisconsin!

It's supply and demand. A ton of homebrewer's and a small number of good homebrew supply stores. Keep the prices fair and the customer service high and the people will come.

I think the show Brew Masters has a lot to do with the recent boom. I think most of the people who go out and buy a kit because of that may not find themselves brewing for long. But as far as I'm concerned the more, the merrier. The ultimate goal is better beer. The more brewers we have out there, the more fresh ideas we'll have to share.

the LAST thing you want to hear while HomeBrewing is

BOOM!

If this means what I think it does, then I agree 100%. When it comes to massive growth in homebrewing, be careful what you wish for. There are several reasons for this, but I'll just give one. Right now, homebrewing isn't above the radar enough to attract the attention of government. If it grows radically, it will invoke what I believe is the Second Rule of Government: "If it moves, tax it."

Me? I'm in the camp with those who think what's being seen is just holiday gift shopping. Wishful thinking, anyway......

If this means what I think it does, then I agree 100%. When it comes to massive growth in homebrewing, be careful what you wish for. There are several reasons for this, but I'll just give one. Right now, homebrewing isn't above the radar enough to attract the attention of government. If it grows radically, it will invoke what I believe is the Second Rule of Government: "If it moves, tax it."

Me? I'm in the camp with those who think what's being seen is just holiday gift shopping. Wishful thinking, anyway......

I don't see it ever getting that big. As a for-instance, we still have plenty of moonshine distillers around here. Everyone knows it but no one bothers them until they try to sell the stuff. Those who just share it among their friends and family don't run into trouble because it's simply not worth the government's time to bother with it. What exactly would the government tax for a homebrewer?

There was an article in Popular Mechanics this month on HomeBrewing. They even had a link to this Forum. My Local Homebrew Store just moved locations and doubled in size.

There was an article in Popular Mechanics this month on HomeBrewing. They even had a link to this Forum. My Local Homebrew Store just moved locations and doubled in size.

Well there you go. The government is making money off of the taxes they pay. And I assume that includes more property taxes now that they're in a bigger location. Hopefully new jobs too, right? I think a homebrewer stimulus plan could save this economy. :ban:

I don't see it ever getting that big. As a for-instance, we still have plenty of moonshine distillers around here. Everyone knows it but no one bothers them until they try to sell the stuff. Those who just share it among their friends and family don't run into trouble because it's simply not worth the government's time to bother with it. What exactly would the government tax for a homebrewer?

That's the trouble....thinking up new things to put taxes on is about the only way government ever gets creative. And a creative government is a dangerous one; I don't want to think about it.

BTW, I absolutely LOVE your location!

As far as I know homebrewing is already taxed. You pay sales tax on everything you buy for homebrewing unless your state doesn't collect sales tax on it for some reason.

When you consider shipping vs tax, it can often be cheaper to pay a slightly lower price online and pay shipping vs paying a slightly higher price at your lhbs and paying tax!

Anyway, I would guess that Brew Masters has something to do with this, along with the holiday season. More power to the brew shops!

Realize that it is the holiday season, and many if not all of those may have been gifts for others.

We agree and are gearing up for a heavy January!

crash1292 - I live in Cbus but work at Cannery Wine and Spirits in Sun Prairie on Main Street. I was hired as the Home Brewer dude/ consultant. We're still getting in more and more Specialty grains which they seemed to skip over.

IF you are looking for ANY type of beer in Columbus go across the street to BOBS Liqueur - only place here that has ANY craft beer (and limited at that). h yea - the BP Gas Station has a good number of Craft Beer across town.

Email me if you have questions [email protected]

There is no place here with good tap beer but again - in Sun Prairie NEXT to our store is a place with 200+ craft beers (bottles). The Badger Ale House (Bowling Alley) in Cbus only has 1 or two actual Ales.

The town is a Craft beer black hole! Our shop is rated A- in Beer Advocate!

Latest posts

Back