Non-Plastic Mash Tun (Batch Sparge)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverstbrew

Reaction score
I need some help finding a non-plastic mash tun that I can batch sparge with. I brew AG organic and don't want whatever is in the plastic cooler to seep into my delicious heady homebrew. I've been looking into BM and PW kettles with bazooka screens, but I don't know if that's the way to go vs. a keggle or something else. I've been agonizing over this for days and would really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

A kettle would certainly work, but if you want to get more creative and unique, think about what we had before plastics...ceramic! With some looking, you could probably find a large (10 gallon) pickling crock with a spigot that would work for you. You would have to seriously pre-heat it prior to mashing, but once up to temp it should insulate very well.

As far as batch sparging, the shape of the mash tun has little to no effect. It is fly sparging where the shape can have some impact.

Back