Any UFC Fans Out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cercueil

Reaction score
I've been a fan of UFC for about 2 years now and besides my neighbor no one I know watches it. Just wanted to post something here to discuss UFC (and WEC also). It can be anything from who is your favorite fighter to who do you think will win the next main event (Machida vs. Shogun).

I used to but with the fequency of the fights at like $50 each I decided to give it up. I only watch the free stuff now if at all. They kind of ruined the sport for me by having more fights but not giving me a break on the price.

Kimbo...Didnt he just get his ass kicked by an overweight irishman on Ultimate Fighter/ Yea at least Brock hasnt lost.....yet.

Mir submitted Lesnar in his first outing in the Octagon... however you're correct in that he hasn't lost since then, and it was his only professional loss so far.

If he manages to survive Shawn Carwin, I can't WAIT to see Cain Velasquez fight him. Lesnar's the real deal, but there are some amazing fighters coming up through HW FINALLY...

Machida will beat Shogun. I don't know if anyone can beat Anderson Silva, his striking is sooo accurate and deadly. This season's Ultimate Fighter is a joke. Lesnar is vulnerable now, but not for long if he keeps training seriously. I don't pay for the PPV I go to a bar or DL them the next day.

I am what you would call an MMA junkie. I have mellowed out over the past couple of years, but yeah... I commentate and emcee for local MMA events in my area, watch every UFC I possibly can (PPVs) and Ive interviewed countless fighters.
So yeah, I get into the UFC... I think Brock is a marketing sham that has been rather successful and Kimbo is another marketing sham that will be exposed in the UFC as he was in Strikefarce by a UFC 'phailure'
-Me

I've been a fan since you had to catch it on the internet since it wasn't allowed in almost any state. I've seen the sport really start to blossom at one point with some top grade talent. I think the sport is declining lately as far as the talent goes. Couture, Hughes, Milititch, the Gracies, etc... those were the good days.

I'm excited to see the popularity of it among the young fighters today. I just really hope they can stay focused on the sport and their fights. They're having UFC 105 and 106 only a week apart in November, what's the point really? Probably contract restrictions on sharing the main event I bet. Just get out there and fight, make your $ and get ready to fight again.

I definitely agree with you guys with the price..I bought 1 so far but at $50 it really is ridiculous. The UFC fight night's and WEC free events (tomorrow night is Cerrone vs. Henderson) are great but they are so far apart. The main events are like several months apart. With so many fighters can't they put at least the new guys on once a month and then the main event that you have to pay for. At least it will give us something to watch for free. It supposedly the fastest growing sport in the world but how can you build a fan base by putting it on PPV?

I see the fights live anytime I want to by hitting the local sports bar. Several bars around here show them and don't charge anything. Don't wanna shell out $50 and still want to see the matches, just go to the bar.

I've been watching since my dad brought home the first 3 on vhs back in 1994.

BOLD predictions.
Shogun beats Machida. Shogun is a veteran fighter who if you have only seen his fights in the UFC, I highly suggest you go watch his pride fights (most of which can be found on youtube). If he understands that you can't wade in on machida or chase him around. you cut the octagon off and make him move to your power hand. Noone's ever really hit machida and I think if Shogun gets in close, clinches with him and makes him fight his game....Lights out dragon.

Lesnar gets KTFO'D by Carwin. Carwin is the only man with gloves bigger than lesnar. He's also an accomplished wrestler. You saw Cotour nutralize lesnar's wrestling so you know it can be done. Oh, and Carwin hits much, much harder.

Being from chicago I also have tickets to the Fedor fight in November. Fedor has never fought in America nor has he fought in a cage. I just peed myself in anticipation.

I've been watching since my dad brought home the first 3 on vhs back in 1994.

BOLD predictions.
Shogun beats Machida. Shogun is a veteran fighter who if you have only seen his fights in the UFC, I highly suggest you go watch his pride fights (most of which can be found on youtube). If he understands that you can't wade in on machida or chase him around. you cut the octagon off and make him move to your power hand. Noone's ever really hit machida and I think if Shogun gets in close, clinches with him and makes him fight his game....Lights out dragon.

Im gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Shogun is the man, but for some odd reason, very few of the Pride vets have had any long term success rates. (Except Anderson) Machida is going to pick Rua apart and end up decisioning him (as we all have seem to forgotten that he is has done quite often) Many a folk have been excited about Machida as of late because of his spectacular wins. But I think he is going to use the Machida of old strategy and just outpoint his opponent. Rua is way too dangerous not to.
Lesnar gets KTFO'D by Carwin. Carwin is the only man with gloves bigger than lesnar. He's also an accomplished wrestler. You saw Cotour nutralize lesnar's wrestling so you know it can be done. Oh, and Carwin hits much, much harder.
I agree and I wholeheartedly hope this scenario plays out. I am SO not a Brock Fan. Although he has had some impressive wins as of late.

Being from chicago I also have tickets to the Fedor fight in November. Fedor has never fought in America nor has he fought in a cage. I just peed myself in anticipation.

Im not a huge Fedor fan, but I cant deny is record and who hes beat.
I guess I am kind of an anti-Fedor fan. I like to watch, in hopes that he gets knocked off of his throne. But he always pulls off the (W) so you gotta respect him in that sense. (Kinda like Rashad was)
-Me

I absolutely despise the UFC. I'm so sick of seeing all the dumbasses around town with the TapOut shirts and **** thinking they can fight and everything.

TapOut is the new Get'R'Done for hillbillies

I absolutely despise the UFC. I'm so sick of seeing all the dumbasses around town with the TapOut shirts and **** thinking they can fight and everything.

TapOut is the new Get'R'Done for hillbillies

Those people aren't UFC fans. They're *****ebags. There will always be *****ebags that try and ruin things for the rest of us. If you don't like UFC. That's fine. It's not for everyone. But don't discredit it just because the tools like to wear tapout or affliction or whatever the next new hot brand is.

Fighters are REAL athletes. Athletics and sports are always about competition and who is the better at their particular skill and from that perspective I find it a much more impressive feat to dominate another human being than it is so show how far you can throw, how fast you can run or how high you can jump.

Im gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Shogun is the man, but for some odd reason, very few of the Pride vets have had any long term success rates. (Except Anderson) Machida is going to pick Rua apart and end up decisioning him (as we all have seem to forgotten that he is has done quite often) Many a folk have been excited about Machida as of late because of his spectacular wins. But I think he is going to use the Machida of old strategy and just outpoint his opponent. Rua is way too dangerous not to.

But the catch here is, Machida has never gone 5 rounds in a fight. I don't think the Machida evade strategy can keep him in a fight for 5 rounds. Eventually he'll have to engage. Then he'll be in a real fight. In a real fight, shogun wins.

But as we know anything can happen.

Those people aren't UFC fans. They're *****ebags. There will always be *****ebags that try and ruin things for the rest of us. If you don't like UFC. That's fine. It's not for everyone. But don't discredit it just because the tools like to wear tapout or affliction or whatever the next new hot brand is.

Fighters are REAL athletes. Athletics and sports are always about competition and who is the better at their particular skill and from that perspective I find it a much more impressive feat to dominate another human being than it is so show how far you can throw, how fast you can run or how high you can jump.

I don't doubt they're real athletes. Just hate the DB's that think they're fighters. It's no worse than when Fast N The Furious came out. Same DB's driving around 20 year old honda's with rust holes and giant wings.

I don't doubt they're real athletes. Just hate the DB's that think they're fighters. It's no worse than when Fast N The Furious came out. Same DB's driving around 20 year old honda's with rust holes and giant wings.

I think we all hate those guys. But why do you let them have an effect on your feelings toward ufc (or anything else idiots tend to latch onto)?

Did anyone watch Cerrone Vs. Henderson on Sat night? It was an unbelievable 5 rounder for the interrim title. Apparantely Jamie Varner is injured and can't defend his title so they made this fight to determine who will fight Varner next if he can fight. Henderson won but I think it could have gone either way. Cerrone had Henderson in at least 5 submission attempts throughout the rounds but I think Henderson won because he had more take downs then Cerrone and he got out of all the submission attempts. At one point Henderson was in a choke for at least 10 seconds and he didn't tap. I have no clue how he was breathing because it was in so tight. Also next month will be Brown vs Aldo for Featherweight Championship. Should be a good fight.

Did anyone watch Cerrone Vs. Henderson on Sat night? It was an unbelievable 5 rounder for the interrim title. Apparantely Jamie Varner is injured and can't defend his title so they made this fight to determine who will fight Varner next if he can fight. Henderson won but I think it could have gone either way. Cerrone had Henderson in at least 5 submission attempts throughout the rounds but I think Henderson won because he had more take downs then Cerrone and he got out of all the submission attempts. At one point Henderson was in a choke for at least 10 seconds and he didn't tap. I have no clue how he was breathing because it was in so tight. Also next month will be Brown vs Aldo for Featherweight Championship. Should be a good fight.

Hells effin yeah! (I still need to watch that fight)

Im super stoked cause my boy Mackens Semerzier beat the #3 BW in the world (Wagney Fabiano) - as a 'noob'
Ive commentated MANY a Mackens ammy fights where he reigned supreme there, his pro debut, and many of his other pro wins. (So it wasnt a surprise that he won) I still have some video interviews with Mackens that I need to dig up. This kid is a beast - and he shocked the world!
WAR MACKENS!
-Me

I love both MMA and Boxing. Machida is my favourite fighter and i just can't see Shogun winning this one, especially if he shows up like he did in his former fights.

+1 to the UFC fans.

There's another thread somewhere where a bunch of us talked UFC for a year or so!

Someone needs to give Lesnar a beating. Hes making UFC look like WWE with his antics - laughing at Herring and Couture was bad form. Im hoping Nogueira beats him.
Im also hoping GSP moves up a division to fight Silva who will need to move down - its has to happen some time.
Does anyone else here train ? - I have a purple belt in BJJ, also box, greco etc.
BTW - I agree with Iregularpulse - too many posers walking around.

Someone needs to give Lesnar a beating. Hes making UFC look like WWE with his antics - laughing at Herring and Couture was bad form. Im hoping Nogueira beats him.
Im also hoping GSP moves up a division to fight Silva who will need to move down - its has to happen some time.
Does anyone else here train ? - I have a purple belt in BJJ, also box, greco etc.
A little BJJ and Boxing but just not enough time in the day to do it more often then once a week.

I don't think most people like Lesnar. I mean he is really good esp with that wrestling background. I have no clue how a guy that big can move that fast. I think he was probably roided up from being in the WWE. He's like a monster when compared to someone like Frank Mir. Maybe they should make a 265lb and up division..lol..GSP vs. Silva..Now thats intersting. I mean when you look at their divisions it almost seems like no one can beat them. Of course anyone can beat anyone on a given day but these guys are like machines..Almost like cyborgs or something. Silva just trashed Forrest and he's no slouch. It was like he was toying with him. Very impressive skills. I don't train but this sport is making me want too..lol..I'm too old now but might have wanted to try BJJ in college.

Even if Lesner was all roided up from WWE wrestling, he would still need to be keeping up with a massive workout regime to keep the muscle.

Dude is a freakshow. Huge, fast, skilled and fairly ripped. You don't see guys that big not carting fat around very often. As long as he doesn't make stupid mistakes he'll be sitting on that belt for some time.

...great... now it sounds like I'm a lesner nuthugger. ugh

I'd rather watch the Guida vs. Sanchez fight from the TUF 9 final over most heavyweight bouts anyway... That was crazy!

I'm a junkie, haven't missed more than a couple fights in the last 3 years. Fight I'm looking forward to is Forest kicking Tito's ass and then Rampage killing Rashad, I hope he breaks his jaw so he can't talk for a long time.

I know, but look what you just said... dude BEAT Couture and Herring. Two guys that have gone toe to toe with the best in the world, and won many of those times. He walks in and just has his way with them. Now, is he GOOD? Getting there, but no, I'd say he's still very average. Is he HUGE and ridiculously FAST? Hellz yes. Has anyone figured out how to fight him? Nope.

I think unless someone gets their crap together, he's going to be the title-holder for awhile. The HW division is pretty one-dimensional at this point... meaning, every outstanding fighter is outstanding only in one specialty area. Lesnar is fast, strong as an ox, and getting better every day. I actually think Cain Velasquez will be the guy to do it... he's a freakshow too.

Rampage flaked and retired a few weeks ago... no Jackson v Evans fight coming up.

UFC fighter Rampage Jackson says he has decided to quit fighting

Wow I didn't hear this..And here I am watching Ultimate Fighter and watching them break each others b@lls and thinking wow this is going to be a good fight. They were supposed to fight each other for the title I thought but Rampage was hurt (UFC 98). They probably get hurt more in their training camps then in fights because they only fight once or twice a year.

I know, but look what you just said... dude BEAT Couture and Herring. Two guys that have gone toe to toe with the best in the world, and won many of those times. He walks in and just has his way with them. Now, is he GOOD? Getting there, but no, I'd say he's still very average. Is he HUGE and ridiculously FAST? Hellz yes. Has anyone figured out how to fight him? Nope.

I think unless someone gets their crap together, he's going to be the title-holder for awhile. The HW division is pretty one-dimensional at this point... meaning, every outstanding fighter is outstanding only in one specialty area. Lesnar is fast, strong as an ox, and getting better every day. I actually think Cain Velasquez will be the guy to do it... he's a freakshow too.

He beat 80 year old couture who managed to keep the fight standing until he caught one behind the ear. And since when did beating Heath Herring mean that you have arrived? If Carwin can out wrestle lesnar, the fight is his. We've neven seen lesnar's chin tested and I doubt there's anyone out that that hits as hard as carwin.

I don't think most people like Lesnar. I mean he is really good esp with that wrestling background. I have no clue how a guy that big can move that fast. I think he was probably roided up from being in the WWE. He's like a monster when compared to someone like Frank Mir. Maybe they should make a 265lb and up division..lol..GSP vs. Silva..Now thats intersting. I mean when you look at their divisions it almost seems like no one can beat them. Of course anyone can beat anyone on a given day but these guys are like machines..Almost like cyborgs or something. Silva just trashed Forrest and he's no slouch. It was like he was toying with him. Very impressive skills. I don't train but this sport is making me want too..lol..I'm too old now but might have wanted to try BJJ in college.

You're not too old for BJJ. I started training at Gracie Barra here in chicago in Jan. I'm 31 and there are white belts older than me.

He beat 80 year old couture who managed to keep the fight standing until he caught one behind the ear. And since when did beating Heath Herring mean that you have arrived? If Carwin can out wrestle lesnar, the fight is his. We've neven seen lesnar's chin tested and I doubt there's anyone out that that hits as hard as carwin.

Couture may be old, but he's a veteran fighter. Beating Couture most definitely means something, especially if people are saying you're a fluke novelty. Heath Herring has banged with more top heavyweights than almost anyone! Fedor, Big Nog, Cro Cop, Kongo, Belfort, O'Brien... he doesn't win all that often, but he's seen A LOT. A lot more than Lesnar had to offer, that's for sure...

I think he'll keep Carwin on the ground... at least, he'd better if he doesn't want to get KTFO. :) If he beats Carwin, I think Velasquez will do him.

I think the biggest challenge fighters have with Brock is that they can't find anyone to train with that are close to Brock's size, strength and speed. He's very fast and explosive from his wrestling background and it's hard to find anyone with that same ability to train with. If someone could find a sparring partner that closely resembled Brock, they could probably put together a good strategy and negate his physical advantages.

I started BJJ at 32 - Im 37 now and a competitive purple belt. Keeps me alive man. AFAIK Marcus Soares was in his 40s when he started.

Lesnar is an excellent fighter theres no denying it. Its his attitude that sucks. He gives the sport a bad name. Now wheres Nogeira ?

You're not too old for BJJ. I started training at Gracie Barra here in chicago in Jan. I'm 31 and there are white belts older than me.

Back