Hallertau (GR) vs. US Hallertau

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswegan

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the Hallertau (GR) and the US Hallertau?

There is also one called Organic Hallertau Tradition with a/a of 4.0-6.5%

Does anyone know the difference between the Hallertau (GR) and the US Hallertau?

There is also one called Organic Hallertau Tradition with a/a of 4.0-6.5%

I don't know the difference between the GR and the US Hallertau. But I mistakenly ordered the organic from hopsdirect . Its 5.8% A/A soI have to adjust the hop amounts when I use it

There are 6-7 types of Hallertau. Most Hallertau from Germany will be Gold or Tradition. Gold has the highest AA, 7-10%, T. 5-8%. Some Mittelfrueh is still around, and that can run as low as 1%, but it generally 3-4%. As far as I can find there is no Mittelfrueh grown in the US.

There's also New Zealand Hallertauer, which although it is a Hallertauer cross, isn't remotely like the other hops in this family.

So, the short answer is not much difference.

There are 6-7 types of Hallertau. Most Hallertau from Germany will be Gold or Tradition. Gold has the highest AA, 7-10%, T. 5-8%. Some Mittelfrueh is still around, and that can run as low as 1%, but it generally 3-4%. As far as I can find there is no Mittelfrueh grown in the US.

There's also New Zealand Hallertauer, which although it is a Hallertauer cross, isn't remotely like the other hops in this family.

So, the short answer is not much difference.

The GR that I was looking at is at 3-4 a/a.

Having not brewed that much with Hallertau, I guess I am just wondering if that's a good choice. I was getting ready to buy a pound for $10.75 because I just paid $3.75 an ounce last week at the LHBS.

I've got a nearly a pound of the GR left in the freezer. They do the trick. I mainly use them in wheat beers. at 10.75/lb you can't really go wrong.

Hallertau would be great as a German Beer hop. I personally have not used it since my early days of brewing, but if you like German Lagers, it's well suited and very distinctive. I hear the US version is not bad, but of course the experts all seem to think that you should use the German version if trying to create a German beer.

Back