What can cause a metallic after taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
This is the second time I've had this problem with my kegged beer

could it be oxidation?

I'm doing extract in a stainless steal brewpot

I used to have this problem with almost every batch I brewed.

I had been using liquid extract in every batch. I switched to Northern Brewer's liquid extract (packaged in plastic jugs) and no more problem. Brewed again after that with liquid extract in a can and the problem returned. Switched to DME and the problem went away again.

mostly I use DME but when I do use LME it is from Northern brewer in the milk jug

so that's not it

Scrubbing your brewpot too hard will do it too. I was scrubbing my brewpot w/ a rough sponge before my first two brews and got a heavy metallic taste in them. After that I just used the soft side of the sponge and haven't had it since. (also helps to clean after brewing not before the next time 2 weeks later)

Your water chemistry can cause it. Unfortunately that is the extent of my knowledge. I forget what chemical causes it, and I couldn't tell you what a high portion of that would be. I am pretty sure it is in how to brew though.

this is still a little help - I suspected for some time that I shouldn't be using my tap water for brew and good tip about not scrubbing to hard

the first time it happened I thought it was my SS brew spoon so I switched to a plastic one, had several batches that were ok and then the one popped up

IMO, it is unlikely to get a metallic taste from a pot, or piece of equipment. Maybe for just one batch go to the store and get some spring water and see if it makes a difference. If it does, you can research it more and see if there is a way to filter your tap water or something to get that taste out.

IMO, it is unlikely to get a metallic taste from a pot, or piece of equipment. Maybe for just one batch go to the store and get some spring water and see if it makes a difference. If it does, you can research it more and see if there is a way to filter your tap water or something to get that taste out.

1: I did start using distilled water, it just hasn't come through the pipeline yet
2: I was using a Brita filter on my tap

So I think I have that covered, I do get what you are saying about not getting it from the equipment but the scratches at the bottom of my kegs make me feel uneasy

I really think this will end up being either a PH problem or a oxidization problem

I would be surprised if stainless equipment would cause it, scratched or not.

Did you add minerals to the distilled water? While some minerals can cause off flavors like metalic tastes, you also don't want a complete lack of minerals either. If you did not add minerals, you may have some off flavors in those beers as well; that is why I suggest spring water. However, if you do have off flavors, they are not likely to be metallic. Let us know how those turn out when they come through.

I would think a Brita tap would be enough to filter out whatever the mineral is that causes metallic taste.

Here is the how to brew's take on metallic off flavors

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

So, unless you are using a chipped ceramic pot, which it seems like you are not, then it is most likely something in your water.

Your water chemistry can cause it. Unfortunately that is the extent of my knowledge. I forget what chemical causes it, and I couldn't tell you what a high portion of that would be. I am pretty sure it is in how to brew though.

I get a slight metallic aftertaste in some of my beers that use darker malts. I'm certain it's a water chemistry issue. I'm getting a water test, but in the mean time I just keep making APAs and IPAs, etc.

Do you notice it more it a beer with darker color malts, particularly roasted malts?

I was getting a bit of a metallic after taste in all my beers after I moved. Using filtered water has cleared up all the issues using the exact same equipment.

It's not just water. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that (like Yooper), the effect is most pronounced when you use dark grains/extract. The darker my wort, the more metal I usually taste.

It's not just water. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that (like Yooper), the effect is most pronounced when you use dark grains/extract. The darker my wort, the more metal I usually taste.

The two batches that have had it have been an APA and a Scottish 60

My dark beers come out great, but I do have highly alkaline water

Interesting reading here. I've experienced this too. All with 60% grain mix beers. One was a Maibock with Weyermann's Caramunich II grain. In two batches, each used the same LME as supplement but had 1 lb of the Caramunich II grain. The one that had the metallic taste had a steep temperature of 160 degrees and went higher only for the boil. The second batch I experimented with a much higher steep temperature of around 190 and each boiled for an hour. The batch that steeped around 160 had a very strong metallic flavor. The batch that steeped around 190 had no such flavor artifacts. The equipment was the same for each batch. Note here too: I use heavily filtered well water with known high iron content. The filtration system I use is by PUR.

Back