VERY low carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
Wow, two new threads in one day. . . sorry!

I just had a bottle of a Rogue Brutal Bitter kit that I bottled on 9/13 and it had virtually no carbonation! The bottles were in a room that was around 70 degrees the whole time. I put three in the fridge last Sunday and just tried one. The taste is great. I get some residual bubbles on the side, but no head. I've done a search of this and it has been recommended to try and roll the bottles a bit. Is this still the best course of action?

Thanks, once again for ALL the help and advice!

Giving them a roll can be helpful. A couple of times I've had stubborn beers that took forever to carb and rolling seemed to help them get going. I also took to yelling at them but that didn't seem to help at all! :D

If you put them in the fridge last Sunday, then it had onlt been about 2 weeks since you bottled, which isn't usually enough time to develop the full carbonation. Give them another week or so at 70 before you test again.

I stopped brewing for a couple years and have recently gotten back into it. My first batch had the same issue.
1st week - nothing
2nd week - nothing
I gave each bottle a shake and a week later everything seemed to be fine.

Maybe the same will work for you.

Yeast metabolism can be inibited by alchol, other byproducts, starvation, temperature, stess, so if you often experience carbonation issue you can think at repitching the bottle with a fresh yeast strain,if needed with a better ethanol tolerance

This answered a lot of my questions.

I made a chocolate porter in January and broke and popped one open on Superbowl Sunday to see how it was.

Very little Carbonation, no spots but it tasted damn good!

I have it in boxes near an electric heater and covered the boxes in a blanket to keep some of the heat in.

I guess giving them a few more weeks will do it then.

Back