Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I've done a few searches of forums, checked out the Brew Wiki, Wikipedia, Urban Dictionary, and just a Google search... can't find it...

I know I'm going to get totally pwned for being a n00b, but I guess that's the price of admission... Can someone please tell me what an EAC is?

Its imbedded somewhere in this forum. You have to search and read. The original post where this term gets coined is priceless. Therefore my telling you will spoil that, try do several searches you'll find it sooner or later. Some of the posts will have links to the original thread. Search and yea shall find....

And yes its a right of passage! :rockin:

Its imbedded somewhere in this forum. You have to search and read. The original post where this term gets coined is priceless. Therefore my telling you will spoil that, try do several searches you'll find it sooner or later. Some of the posts will have links to the original thread. Search and yea shall find....

And yes its a right of passage! :rockin:

Every time I do a search for EAC, I get:

The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

:off:

Sorry, I apologize to the OP, this will be the last time I sidetrack this thread unless someone later has a specific nutritional or veterinary question.

No offense taken at all, please sidetrack as much as you like. It's good that someone as knowledgable as you clears up some of these concerns, questions and comments.

C'mon, let's keep this thread going a few more pages! My dog like beer! I like my dog! There, back on topic!:rockin:

Thanks I'm going to give this a try. I tried doing this after I received something similar from a beer fest at Rogue but they turned out awful probably because I did not have a drying step.

No offense taken at all, please sidetrack as much as you like. It's good that someone as knowledgable as you clears up some of these concerns, questions and comments.

Thanks :D I figured if I am dumping tens of thousands of dollars and years of my life on this education, I may as well try and help out my fellow homebrewers :mug:

Thanks for the recipe again, I have been wanting to make these for my dogs as well, but have always just copped out by dumping a few cups of grains on the ground straight out of the mash tun. I don't think they mind, they are getting a treat either way:cross:

Thanks for the recipe again, I have been wanting to make these for my dogs as well, but have always just copped out by dumping a few cups of grains on the ground straight out of the mash tun. I don't think they mind, they are getting a treat either way:cross:

Oh, I do this too. I think they enjoy brew day almost as much as I do.

Awesome!!! my chocolate lab will probably love these things! get more bang for the buck! thanks

:off:\
If you have further specific questions about your pet, please consult your vet.

WoW, Not minding that I fell asleep halfway through reading this, but, WoW.
I got a few dogs that tend to think I'm a cat walking by. Maybe I'll make some of this up and see if I can convince them I'm not the anti-christ.

Well, not too far off this thread's topic:
Man's best friend adds new challenge to brew day - BrewBoard

The reports of hops causing problems in dogs seem to be few in far between, but this is a report from a fellow homebrewer that ended up in the vet's office after fido ate some EKG.

I have a dog that will eat anything that I drop in the kitchen (coffe beans, zucchini stems, you name it). When I am messing with hops, they are not allowed in the kitchen and I check the floor before they come back in.

I'm an extract brewer that only uses the 1lb or so of specialty grains. Are the the same things or are they OK to use in the recipe?

I'm an extract brewer that only uses the 1lb or so of specialty grains. Are the the same things or are they OK to use in the recipe?

Yup, same thing. Will work just fine. Might consider giving them a rinse with tap water if you think they are too sweet (this will depend on your steeping process).

Same stuff. Go for it.

My dogs love these. They are mini dachshunds and I can't find treats small enough for them, but these I can custom cut nice and tiny. They also love to clean up the falling grain when I use my corona.

Oh, I've got 2 9# yorkies so my 1-1.5# of grains is enough :p. And yes, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to walk them in public! :mug:

I have got to say thanks. Buzz, my brew buddy loves these dog cookies.

Right now he has about 80 pilsner dog treats if not more...

He loves these... Here's a pic of him shaking for a pilsner treat.

2008_Buzz_Dog_Cookies_001.jpg

He also will bark if you ask if he wants a beer.

This is a multi-shot of him saying hell yah!

2008_Buzz_Dog_Cookies_006.jpg

Thanks again for the recipe!! He's crazy for peanut butter!!!

My friend I gave the biscuits to can't even say "uncle B" around his dog without it going nutzo waiting for a biscuit.

Thanks for the recipe. I hate pitching that much grain when there's something to be done with it.

B

I made a batch for my mutts over the weekend. I deliberately left them soft and chewy. They drool when they see me pull out the treat bag.

I've never seen 'em get sooo excited about a treat.

I will be cooking up some of these tonight from the blue heron clone I made on saturday! thanks and great thread!

Cheers!

found out that kota doesnt like actual peanuts.. so I will use creamy next time.. also, they were really floury.. wonder if i could cut some of the flour..

found out that kota doesnt like actual peanuts.. so I will use creamy next time.. also, they were really floury.. wonder if i could cut some of the flour..

Yeah, I don't see why you couldn't use less flour. Last time I made them they were really dry. I know some people said they used less to make them a bit more chewy because that's what their pooch liked.

I find they turn out dry depending on how long the grains are allowed to dry. I sometimes add back some water if the dough is too dry.

Wow, I never in a million years thought that something like this would be so tasty for my stinky maltese. I cant wait to make a batch of these as they will give Mr. Andy (Worhol) a tasty treat that he will love, and give the wife another reason to not give me **** about brewing all of the time.

Not to mention, the neighbors dog is such a treat whore. (She is such a sweet dog)
Thanks for the info!
-Me

I must say that between these and the spent grain bread, the wife's flower bed is not getting near as "mulch" as it used to :D

I made a batch for my mutts over the weekend. I deliberately left them soft and chewy.

Be careful leaving them too moist... My first batch got moldy after a while... The last two batches are pretty much bone dry, but Mo loves them... He actually gets a little drooly when he smells them in the oven...

both of my dogs want to hump your leg. They get absolutely crazy when they smell peanut butter. My wife and I even have to spell it out because they know what it is when we say it. I just made the first batch and they went nuts and want more.

Thanks!

I'm trying this with the Black & Tan ..and the latest addition Tess the Wimeranor or however you spell it. Pics are forthcoming. Eventually.

I did 2 kits yesterday with soaking grains, emptied the grain bags into the compost pile. the mutts loved it. I take down the fence in the winter.

I bake mine at 325 or so until done, then turn off the oven, and let them dry overnight. He prefers them chewy, but I don't want to refridgerate them. (They got moldy in a few days when moist). I'm sure you've all seen him, but here's a gratuitous picture anyway (he's so damn handsome!):
DSCF0005.jpg

I bake mine at 325 or so until done, then turn off the oven, and let them dry overnight. He prefers them chewy, but I don't want to refridgerate them. (They got moldy in a few days when moist). I'm sure you've all seen him, but here's a gratuitous picture anyway (he's so damn handsome!):
View attachment 9925

Damn Yoop. Yer making it difficult to endure these long winter nights with that beutiful pic.

I'd imagine that lake has some ice fishermen (and women) on it right about now.

Back