Got some ECY20.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
So I made a blonde and split the batch into half pacman and half roselare. It's about 3 weeks old now and the Brett is coming through a little. I have a flanders red thats 5 months old now and it's souring nicely. I bought bug country for the blonde. Should I make a starter and split the bugs so I can have some for later? Or just pitch the whole thing. This sour will more then likely ride out for a year or so before I decide to bottle or keg it. Any suggestions?

Get a large bottle (I use 1.5 liter wine bottles). Pour a small amount of your ECY in the bottle and fill with some wort (maybe some of the blonde, or starter wort), put an airlock on it, and store it away for the long haul. It will grow a pellicle, and the bugs and brett will grow.

That bottle of wort/beer will keep for up to a couple of years. When you need it, pitch the lot and add some fresh yeast with it.

If you don't have a rubber bung that will fit a bottle with an airlock, get one (several). Some foil will work for a while.

So on the 17th I pitched bug country onto my blonde. Tried it today and it was slightly sour but then had a nasty bandaid taste. I'm assuming this is normal. I havnt seen any sign of the roselare yet though. I had a 32 oz growler so I made a small 1000 ml starter and pitched some 20 onto it. That was active then dropped down. It's starting to haze over on the surface now.

Back