Table sugar vs. invert sugar priming amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
So I don't have any corn sugar so I'll be using table sugar. I'm usually a kegging guy but my 7.5% wee heavy won't be drunk fast enough to have its own keg.

I read that table sugar isn't as easily eaten by yeast, so the downside of using it is that it takes longer to prime. To avoid longer priming time, I was thinking of making it into an invert syrup which breaks it down into sugars that are more quickly metabolized by the yeast.

If I have to use, say, 4 oz of table sugar, can I simply invert it and use as is and still get the same carbonation level? In other words, does inverting change the sugars "potency" requiring more or less to be used?

Thanks!:confused:

As yeast will split table sugar into the two components that comprise "invert sugar", I wouldn't expect a difference in carbonation levels between using the raw ingredient verses the invert version - as long as fermentation is allowed to complete...

Cheers!

Back