Installing Shanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
I'm using the 4" version of these shanks (http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/shanks/SHANK6.shtml) and I'm trying to figure out what size hole to drill for them. 3/4" is too small but 1" definitely leaves some wiggle room. Do I need to land on something in between those or is some wiggle ok?

Also, should I caulk the inside/outside of the shanks or just get them good and tight so that I can remove and clean them?

7/8" should be perfect although 1" will work fine too if that is all you have on hand. The nut on the shank will tighten so it doesn't wiggle even with a slightly bigger hole.

I didn't caulk because I take them off periodically to clean and sanitize.

I went with 1" with those same shanks and it was perfect. The tiny amount of wiggle room gives you what you need to line them all up perfectly even on the outside.

The hole saw that Keg Connection sells for installing shanks is 15/16"... I used it to drill the holes in my fridge door. Since there was a good amount of insulation foam in the door, I wrapped the shanks (end going in) with aluminum foil so that no foam would get inside them. Plus, I figured it would help make a barrier between the shanks and foam. So far I'm very happy with the results.

The only thing I'm contemplating is getting some 1/2" thick spacers made for the outside portion. Basically to go behind the plastic flange so that the taps are a bit further out, to allow for thicker handles. I just measured and it looks like my current 12"x5" tray would work if I did the 1/2" spacer.

Back