fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnielsen

Reaction score
hello all i am attempting my first batch of beer an IPA and i believe either my yeast i used was no good or my beer is done fermenting in a rapid time. when i racked to my primary and added my yeast there was foam and for the past couple of days i have been looking at my airlock and havent seen it bubble (maybe ive been watching at the wrong times). today being concerend i opened the lid and took a peek ane there is no foam whatsoever. its been about 72 hours since the yeast was added and the primary lid shut. is it possible its done and ready for the secondary or should i try another packet of yeast and give a few more days? the batch looks normal from what i can tell being my first batch, its a little clearer on first half inch of liquid and darker towards the bottom and the beer smells sweet no racid or weird smells. does the sweet smell indicate not enough sugar has been eaten by the yeast and not fermented properly?:confused:

Sounds like it never started, but without a hydrometer reading there is no way to be certain. I'd make a starter and re-pitch.

Normally, you'd see bubbles every few seconds for 2-7 days.

What temperature is the beer sitting at? What type of yeast did you use, and what temp did you pitch it at? Did you take a gravity reading with your hydrometer before pitching? If so, what was it? It doesn't sound like you've had much, if any, fermentation (this coud be confirmed by comparing a current gravity reading with the original). No krausen, no airlock activity sounds suspect. A lottle more info would help diagnose the problem more. Regardless, it will be fine in the end - don't dump it or stress out!

i put the yeast in after the wort had cooled around 80 or whatever the directions said. im keeping the primary in a room that is controlled at 72 degrees. they yeast brand im not sure of it came with the recipe pack from midwest i ordered. and yeast could be another problem im not sure of where i can get some locally in a pinch? do grocery stores carry yeast that is suitable for brewing? those baking packs how long do i have before i can find more yeast and not have the beer be ruined?

You've got to get your hands on more yeast, and nothing at the supermarket is going to get it done! Where are you from, somebody might be able to point you towards a local homebrew store. Otherwise, I'd order some ASAP and get it priority mailed or something. It would definitely benefit you to make a starter for the new yeast as david mentioned so you know it will get a running start once you re-pitch.

In my opinion, you should avoid opening or further testing the beer. If there was no fermentation, it is more 'at risk' for infection by prodding and testing.

found a local place and got some muntons active brewing yeast the kind where theres no need to start it just sprinkle on top of the wort. hopefully it'll start fermenting and not have to dump it out.

thanks everyone! today the batch is bubbling away, one bubble every 5 to 7 seconds. earlier this morning i put my nose up to the airlock and could smell the sweetness coming out of the airlock but now i smell hops hops hops! i cant wait :cross:

anyone every tried the double ipa kit from midwest? any comparisons to anything on the market? when i bought the yeast yesterday i picked up a bottle of my favorite imperial ipa maharaja and relished in the thought i might have something kinda close to this good in my primary :D

I am having the same problem with my batch. Does anyone know of a Brew supply place in Manhattan?? I know there are some on Staten Island but it would be easier if it was in the city. Thanks!

Also, what kind of yeast do I need, I am making a German Oktoberfest and I didn't save the package of yeast i originally put in there.

jnielsen said:
anyone every tried the double ipa kit from midwest? any comparisons to anything on the market? when i bought the yeast yesterday i picked up a bottle of my favorite imperial ipa maharaja and relished in the thought i might have something kinda close to this good in my primary :D

I have brewed the hop head double ipa kit from midwest and the end result was great...plenty of hop aroma and flavors with a strong balanced malt"backbone. It didn't hang around long.

Back