Beertails?... Bocktails?... Beer cocktails?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decypher

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a total fool to a group not yet accustomed to my strange bi-polar/multiple personality/hypocrisy, I must rant on the subject of beer cocktails.

I have not yet formally introduced myself in this forum. My name is Darren, I'm 28 years old, brewing for three years, two and a half years all grain, and reached the legal limit of brewing in Pennsylvania last year (200 gallons). I'm a Pisces, enjoy long walks on the beach, candle-lit dinners, and women who can take down two beers in one beer bong. Born and raised in the Willamette Valley of Oregon and a recent transplant to the Amish Valley of Pennsylvania.

I am a self admitted purist on the border of beer snobbery. Mixing beers for Black & Tans?... BLASPHEMY!!! Drinking fizzy yellow "beer"?... UNACCEPTABLE!!!... Adding lemon to Hefeweizen?... INEXCUSABLE!!!...

But I have this strange tendency to make beer cocktails. A shot of Kahlua in an Imperial Chocolate Stout, a shot of whiskey in a strong Barley Wine, and who can say they don't love a bourbon barrel aged Porter or IPA (it is mixing after all).

But I think tonight, I reached an all time low. I was in the mood for Mexican (there is none in Central PA so I have to make it myself). And of course this cuisine called for a Margarita. As I sat looking at the last ounce or two of my margarita, I had an epiphany, "Should I fill the rest of the glass with Hefeweizen?" I looked around to make sure no one was looking, then took the plunge. I know what you're thinking... WTF?!?!?! I pressed this new union of beer and liquor to my lips and was instantly in heaven. The lime sprouted legs and danced around the glass with the banana and clove, the tequila wrapped it's big warm arms around the wheat, and the Triple Sec took a big bite of yeast, stood up, and said, "Hey buddy, I'm still here, and I still taste like Oranges."

In reflection, all I can ask is, "Has anyone else... you know... experimented a little... with beer cocktails?"

There's a definite possibility that I should put this disclaimer at the beginning of the post, but I've gone through five margaritas already and am currently working on my Hefeweizen/Margarita cocktail. So minor amounts of salt go well with the taste of my language.

Darren

dont feel ashamed the whole fact that youre experimenting is part of the homebrew experience. i have plenty of times stuck a liquor shot in a beer(bacardi gold in james ready mostly) although it was for intoxication purposes but youre taking it to a different level. be proud of the bravery it dont make you any less of a man...actually it may make you more of a man cause you got the balls to pull something like that off

A bloody beer is the only "beer cocktail" I have ever had. You have piqued my curiosity with the Kahlua Imperial Stout though... Pretty good sales pitch for the beergarita too...

Blending beer has a huge history within beer culture. That a Black and Tan is "BLASPHEMY!!" makes me chuckle.

I'm gonna go home right after work and test/pound a variety of new car bombs:

Mexican car bomb: shot of tequilla in Corona
German car bomb: shot of Jaeger in an extra frothy .5liter of hefe (with lemon)
Russian car bomb: shot of vodka in an even bigger glass of vodka
Iraqi car bomb: 1/2 lb fertilizer, bag of nails, propane tank

One of the best Margarita recipes I have used is 1/3 beer.

12 oz Frozen Lime Juice concentrate
12 oz beer (BMC) or something light
12 oz tequila

Throw it in a blender and hit the button. Serve over rocks! Try it. You'll like it.

from rickbayless.com

Tecate Mojito

Makes 8 drinks

Recipe from Season 6 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
48 large mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup white rum or silver tequila
Four 12-ounce cans of Tecate beers (or other light, citrus-y tasting beer)
Ice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

In a small saucepan combine the sugar and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool.

For each drink, place 6 mint leaves in the bottom of a 10 to 12 ounce glass. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar syrup plus 1 tablespoon each of the lime juice and rum or tequila. Crush (muddle) the mint into the liquid with a muddler or the back of a spoon or fork to release its flavor. Fill the glass about 3/4 full with ice cubes. Slowly pour in half of one of the beers, stir well with a long-handled spoon and serve right away.

I've never tried this, but looks interesting.

I'm gonna go home right after work and test/pound a variety of new car bombs:

Mexican car bomb: shot of tequilla in Corona
German car bomb: shot of Jaeger in an extra frothy .5liter of hefe (with lemon)
Russian car bomb: shot of vodka in an even bigger glass of vodka
Iraqi car bomb: 1/2 lb fertilizer, bag of nails, propane tank

those sound not yummy but I may be able to help...

Mexican car bomb: 1/2 shot of tequilla + 1/2 shot of baja rose dropped into Corona.

German car bomb: 1/3 rumplemintz + 1/3 blackhaus + 1/3 gold schlager dropped into Hacker-Pschorr

The other 2 look fine...

Oh yea this is a good one too.

Dirty Hoe - Hoegarden topped off with framboise. (poured over a spoon so framboise lays nicely on top.)

I like the idea of beer cocktails, and it always gives me brewing ideas. In my experience, most things that are delicious when blended post-fermentation are even more delicious when blended pre-fermentation.

For example, when I was in London Snakebites were a big thing. It's half lager (though I think it's better if you ask for it with Ale), half cider and a shot of black currant cordial. Really delicious. So, now I make a homebrew that's 50% Pale Ale wort, 50% unfermented cider (whatever the terminology is for it) and a bit of fresh black currant puree. I pitch the yeast after it's all mixed together. Great results.

I've been considering making a cocktail with my last bottle of DFH 120 min.... it is*rather undrinkable IMO* on its own, sickly sweet. Substitute for a liqueur in a cocktail... I am interested in how it would turn out.

*edit: changed wording

In Boston, The Savant Project which only had a beer/wine & cordials license (due to Boston's annoying liquor licensing laws) serves port with a nut brown ale and a blonde ale with Lillet. I'm not sure of the ratios in these.

By the way, I have a feeling that I'm going to have a few Tecate Mojitos this weekend.

In Boston, The Savant Project which only had a beer/wine & cordials license (due to Boston's annoying liquor licensing laws) serves port with a nut brown ale and a blonde ale with Lillet. I'm not sure of the ratios in these.

By the way, I have a feeling that I'm going to have a few Tecate Mojitos this weekend.

let me know how they are. i hate to mix one up only to find that i can't stand it.

On a good camping trip we tend to do Beermosas or as we call them Bromosas.

beer + Orange Juice = morning delight.

Disclaimer: You must use cheap yellow beer to get the effect.

Great thread! Depending on the style of beer and what you are mixing it with, the possiblities are almost endless!

Brewmoor-

Not sure if you ever make it to this part of CO, but when you do you'll have to stop at Carver's and have a commercial version of your "bromosa". Theirs is called the Razmosa....OJ, Raz Wheat, and a shot of Chambord

Great thread! Depending on the style of beer and what you are mixing it with, the possiblities are almost endless!

Brewmoor-

Not sure if you ever make it to this part of CO, but when you do you'll have to stop at Carver's and have a commercial version of your "bromosa". Theirs is called the Razmosa....OJ, Raz Wheat, and a shot of Chambord

I will have to get Ken @ Glenwood Canyon Brewpub to bring me a growler. They own Carvers too I believe. He brings Carver growlers to our club meetings. I wonder if it is the same Raspberry Wheat recipe at both places?

This is great. I didn't think there would be this much of a response to my drunken rant. Everyone here has my made my manhood a little more secure with my beer cocktails.

And thanks everyone for the new recipe ideas!

~Darren

This is great. I didn't think there would be this much of a response to my drunken rant. Everyone here has my made my manhood a little more secure with my beer cocktails.

And thanks everyone for the new recipe ideas!

~Darren

You're bi-drinkual. It's nothing to be ashamed of... I realize it goes against your conservative upbringing, but the longings inside of our deepest selves have a reason. They are as much a part of our being as the parts of us we are proud of, and there's no reason we shouldn't be proud of them as well.

The next time you are nosing up to a lovely American IPA microbrew, and the sweet seduction is toying with your amygdala -- reminding you of your first time, your best time, probably at the same time! -- I welcome you to enjoy the wholesomeness and purity of humanity's greatest craft at its zenith. When the dregs are reached, and it's a bit warmer than at the start, and your brain has already compensated/tolerated for the sublime aroma, well, that's the time to experiment. Pour some sweet Kentucky bourbon in there (not too much, now!) and LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY.

Cheers to bi-drinkuals! Rainbow ales all around!! ;)

Beer with OJ? Good lord, that's disgusting.

It's called a Bromosa and I can't admit to ever trying it. I bet it's not half-bad though if you use a good amount of OJ.

I was at a brewery last night and they have a Beertail with their Dry Irish stout and a shot of Starbucks coffee liquor. I didn't try it, but it sounds great.

There is drink called the lunchbox. 1/2 beer, 1/2 OJ, with a shot dropped in it (don't remember what). It was good despite the BMC.

Beer with OJ? Good lord, that's disgusting.

It is actually pretty good. I though the same as you until my friends forced me to try it. We were at a three day concert called Rock Jam. Concert in the desert. Waking up all hung over. It really hit the spot. Like I said before though. You can't use a malty beer. You must use a light BMC beer.

I know it as the PoMo (POor man's miMOsa). Specifically, it's OJ and 'The Champagne of Beers' TM. It can be surprisingly refreshing. And really, it gives you something you might actually WANT to drink if all you have around is High Life...

I posted it because the thread title reminded me of the line:

"why not put it in a coconut and call it a Beeracolada?"

For me, if a beer is flavorless enough to warrant additional flavoring, it's not something I'll drink by choice. However the various side cars, boilermakers, and fermented fruit-beer mixtures are acceptable since they compensate for taking up potential "beer volume" with additional alcohol.

let me know how they are. i hate to mix one up only to find that i can't stand it.

The Tecate Mojito was surprisingly tasty. I tied it with rum and tequila. The tequila one was way better.

I had a bunch of people over on Sunday for a Crawfish boil, and made a bunch of these. They were a hit!

There is a restaurant by me that sells dos equis and a slushy margarita together

Latest posts

Back