Fullers "Bengal Lancer" 5% IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbrewer

Reaction score
I thought I would inform any Fullers fans out there that they have a recent addition to the range. It is called Bengal Lancer, and is a 5% IPA.

Here is a link. http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=296

I have not managed to find it yet, but am seriously looking in all the supermarkets. I will find it soon. It should make a fine companion to ESB.

Fullers beer on cask is one of my favorite things about England, and I have a lot of favorite things about England.

I thought I would inform any Fullers fans out there that they have a recent addition to the range. It is called Bengal Lancer, and is a 5% IPA.

Here is a link. http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=296

I have not managed to find it yet, but am seriously looking in all the supermarkets. I will find it soon. It should make a fine companion to ESB.

I imagine you've tried their Porter and Pale Ale too right?! All amazing products and yes, the ESB is in my top five beers of all time.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll be on the lookout.. in fact this morning I'm going by this awesome brew store, I'll check it out!

:mug:

I need to update this already as I have found a supply now and it turns out it is 5.3% ABV IPA and not 5 as I had said, and it is also bottle conditioned which was not mentioned.

I said it would make a good companion to my favourite ESB, but it would have been more accurate to have said London Pride....it is best described as a hoppier version of that, whereas ESB is much more fruity/malty with less of the hops as the up front taste. I would say this beer will suit the American liking for lots of hops, AKA an IPA! Over here, it is a seriously hoppy beer compared to the norm.

Notwithstanding all of that "old cobblers", I'm sure that after a hard day rushing around in a humid climate on the back of a horse, holding a bloody great spear all day, a pint of anything would have gone down well.

beertesting.jpg

drrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllll.

I love the ESB, London Porter and London Pride ales. Idaho USED to have them, now we don't.

Sad... friggen' religious controlled legislature.

Notwithstanding all of that "old cobblers", I'm sure that after a hard day rushing around in a humid climate on the back of a horse, holding a bloody great spear all day, a pint of anything would have gone down well.

:) I visited my local source for Fullers. Here in the states I'm stuck with never having a Fullers on tap so it's exported bottles or nothing. They didn't have the IPA yet but were first learning of it from me and they seemed excited. So hopefully they will be getting some soon. I'm glad it is a hoppier version of the London Price because if they screwed with that gem of an ESB it would be a travesty.

Any local clues/knowledge about the proper Fullers clone would be appreciated :cool: it's sort of one of my life's quests.

Netflyer......pm sent..

I am part way through my brewery build, and when that's done I intend making a Fullers ESB clone. I am not interested in any other beer style as I learned that nothing else comes close at least a decade ago.

I will be brewing to niquejim's Full owl ESB recipe, as you have done, so as you are ahead of me, perhaps you could tell me how full Owl came out!

Once I get going I will keep on trying until I get it nailed, shoot myself, or die of old age, in that order!!!

Ok, here's the thing... we basically need to ply one of the Fuller's workers with alcohol or extreme good nature for the secret ingredients. Important are the Mash temps and times and the exact hops.

I brewed and love Full Owl ESB but it's still not Fullers :) I've brewed an extract version with Target, Northern Brewer, and EKG and used Victory malt and it comes out pretty close. I'm thinking of modifying that for AG or just starting from a known great ESB recipe:

12# Maris Otter
1/2# 15L
1/4# 120L
Mash 152 for 60
2 oz EKG for 60
1 oz EKG at Flameout
Use Wyeast 1968 ferment at 65 and your off to the races...

I am searching the house for a Fullers recipe from an old book called "Brewing beers like those you buy" and any info out of old mags. All I can remember off hand is that Fullers use a "party gyle" system which is mixing brews together to get a desired result. I think it is done after fermentation but I could be talking cobblers.

The brewery is only 90 miles away! Perhaps I should go on one of their brewery tours and take covert surveillance equipment with me. Bet that'd go down like a fart in a space ship.

Hey Silverbrewer, I think other's have taken that tour and learned NOTHING! I tell ya you need to find a disgruntled employee :) It seems the recipe is a pretty well kept secret.

Btw, tried to PM you and it said you're PM's were full :drunk: so, fix that so I can reply to your last PM :)

Thanks!

Back