Netflix Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had Netflix for like 6 years and they don't throttle me anymore and after a customer backlash they decided to keep multiple profiles. Those were the only two issues I have had over the years, and since those are no longer issues I'm a very happy customer.

I don't watch many new releases so I'm not sure about the wait, having the huge selection that a brick and mortar store never could is far more important to me. I love the streaming videos through my PS3 and more and more are availible in HD which look surprisingly good. I guess I am kind of irritated that Blu Ray costs extra, but I can also cancel it at anytime so I suppose I could just add it when I want to watch a bunch of those.

I have had Netflix for like 6 years and they don't throttle me anymore and after a customer backlash they decided to keep multiple profiles. Those were the only two issues I have had over the years, and since those are no longer issues I'm a very happy customer.

I don't watch many new releases so I'm not sure about the wait, having the huge selection that a brick and mortar store never could is far more important to me. I love the streaming videos through my PS3 and more and more are availible in HD which look surprisingly good. I guess I am kind of irritated that Blu Ray costs extra, but I can also cancel it at anytime so I suppose I could just add it when I want to watch a bunch of those.

I don't know how you got yourself exempt from the naughty list as I have also been a customer for at least that long and I'm being throttled. I understand the bluray cost increase. They are literally more expensive to produce and the shipping damage is increased due to the increased resolution.

I have never, ever been waitlisted for any movie in my netflix queue, and I have been subscribed for 7 years. I also have like 100+ movies in my queue that cover new releases, oldies, cult classics, etc. so even if I were waitlisted, it's not a big deal. I'll just get something else that I wanted to see instead.

I don't know how you got yourself exempt from the naughty list as I have also been a customer for at least that long and I'm being throttled. I understand the bluray cost increase. They are literally more expensive to produce and the shipping damage is increased due to the increased resolution.
There is a few in my list that say wait on them, but they say that no matter where they are in my queue, those are just the ones that have a more limited availability. I will usually stick those at the top so when they do become available they get sent but as long as they aren't they will just send me whatever is next.

I have not been throttled since that class action lawsuit a few years back though. No matter what they get my disc the day after I mailed it out and have another one in the mail that same day, which I then receive the following day.

I think it's possible that you're just under the threshold of whatever the throttling trigger is. What disc at a time plan are you on and what's your average monthly rental count? I'm on the two out plan and average about 9 a month and even though I can practically see the warehouse from my house, they never ship the same day that I send back. However, due to the proximity, I do receive it the day they ship.

I'm on the 4 at a time unlimited, my wife and I each get 2 to our queues. I turn them around at least once a week usually more during the winter and maybe less in the summer.

Its first come, first serve. Netflix doesn't have an infinite supply of new releases anymore than Blockbuster or Redbox.

If I put an upcoming movie at the top of my queue, they ship it the day before it releases (i.e. Monday).

If I do it two days before a release, I get the same long wait.

Quit whining.

I haven't had issues with getting DVD's - generally they are in stock. As for instant streaming video, it seems that they have removed a bunch of good old movies that I had in my queue recently ... BUT I have seen a bunch more classic TV, like SNL full seasons from the 1st season on... a full Monty Python TV series... and Heros, Lost, the Office etc...

But I may cancel soon, as we seem to be using RedBox more and more.

Streaming is dependent on the licenses Netflix can negotiate, when stuff drops it means they couldn't come to an agreement with the license holders. physical media renting is far easier as that runs under a difference scheme.

It takes a long time to get off their Throttling list. But it is possible. I go off and on it a few times a year depending on what video games come out that take away from my movie viewing. For example, COD MW2 was out in November so for a couple months I was off the list and getting newest releases. Then my Xbox broke again (3rd F***ng time), so my movie viewing went up for a few weeks while it was being repaired, and now I'm getting throttled again. I basically watch a movie everyday, unless I'm distracted by video games or plans. I watch at least three movies a week usually during peak times, more if possible.

Getting throttled is annoying, but the bang for your buck is still hard to deny. They rarely delay my shipping anymore, but they do withhold new releases. Unlimited Blu-ray all month long totally makes up for it though. And the streaming to consoles is AWESOME. I have an entirely separate queue for streaming stuff my wife wouldn't watch with me. Total DVD queue count ~150 movies, Watch Now queue ~70 other movies, rated moves ~2450. :) I get bored on lunch sometimes.

Also, besides the ease and convenience of streaming movies, the HD Quality is terrific. It's not true HD resolution, but the picture quality is impressive especially managed over broadband compression. Plus it's a FREE perk added to the service. Nice!

Its first come, first serve. Netflix doesn't have an infinite supply of new releases anymore than Blockbuster or Redbox.

If I put an upcoming movie at the top of my queue, they ship it the day before it releases (i.e. Monday).

If I do it two days before a release, I get the same long wait.

Quit whining.

Well it's obviously not first come first serve if they limit what they send you based on your monthly usage. Inglourious Basterds and District 9 were #1 and #2 in my queue more than a month before they were released because I wanted to see them when they first came out on DVD (I hate going to movie theaters and bootlegged movies suck). I also timed it so that they received my previous rentals on the monday before they were both released... and guess what.... I still haven't received them yet. Maybe you should read some of the previous posts before posting a comment like that.

Holy cow. Cannot believe this thread is still going. 50+ posts arguing about netflix. Almost borderline debate forum.

You guys need to make or drink some beer. There is a great online forum for that.

After using Redbox for the first time ever the other night, I canceled my netflix account. My wife and I barely watch movies, and even though we were on the lowest plan, which worked out to around $10/month, it made sense. We've watched one movie in the last six months. I essentially paid $60 to watch Gran Torino, a movie that, while awesome, will likely be available on cable TV within the next six months. I streamed a few to my xbox, but not anywhere near enough to justify keeping netflix.

After using Redbox for the first time ever the other night, I canceled my netflix account. My wife and I barely watch movies, and even though we were on the lowest plan, which worked out to around $10/month, it made sense. We've watched one movie in the last six months. I essentially paid $60 to watch Gran Torino, a movie that, while awesome, will likely be available on cable TV within the next six months. I streamed a few to my xbox, but not anywhere near enough to justify keeping netflix.
Redbox is cool except for the fact that they carry exactly zero of the movies I want to watch. The beauty of Netflix to me is their variety, if it's out on DVD they have it. But it sounds like you watch a lot of cable TV, which is probably about the same amount every month as my Netflix. I don't watch TV, so not having a cable bill makes it easier to justify my Netflix membership. On the rare occasion there is a TV show I want to watch (Mad Men, The Wire, It's Always Sunny) I have no problem waiting till it's out on DVD then getting it from Netflix.

Back