Bar Keepers Friend for IC and Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
My SWMBO bought some Bar Keepers Friend awhile back to clean up some silver, but never ended up using it. Its just been sitting around the house and I know I can use it to clean kegs and my chiller and I figure I may as well not let it go to waste!

Anyways, I did some research, but can't find what ratio of BKF to use to soak the equipment in. I generally use oxyclean, and have been using 1 tbsp per gallon for that. Is that a good ratio for BKF too?

EDIT: Or would i be better off to just mix up the cleaner and just scrub?

I just throw some on a damp sponge and scrub away. It seems to do a good job. I still do the oxyclean thing on my kegs every 6 brews or so. I brew electric and BKF cleans up my elements quite well.

Conehead

Agree with Conehead, just scrub. Based on experience I do not recommend soaking in BKF for more than an hour or so.

BKF is an oxalic acid based cleaner and cleans up copper real nice. The other thing it does is recondition stainless by allowing the chromium to re-oxidize which is the layer of protection on the steel that makes it stainless. Don't remember where I read that, maybe a BYO article.

I have even used BKF with the green scubbie with very good results.

Agree with Conehead, just scrub. Based on experience I do not recommend soaking in BKF for more than an hour or so.

BKF is an oxalic acid based cleaner and cleans up copper real nice. The other thing it does is recondition stainless by allowing the chromium to re-oxidize which is the layer of protection on the steel that makes it stainless. Don't remember where I read that, maybe a BYO article.

I have even used BKF with the green scubbie with very good results.

Yes, i have read that about the BKF.

I think it will be easier to just use the BKF to clean other stuff and to keep using oxyclean in my kegs. I like to just fill the kegs with oxyclean and soak, and its easier than trying to reach my hand in there to scrub.....

i use bkf on my kettles, but like you said, too much work to reach into a keg. Its great to have and cleans up the stains left behind with minimal effort on the pots. I'd just stick with soaking kegs, mine come spotless after sitting for a few days.

i use bkf on my kettles, but like you said, too much work to reach into a keg. Its great to have and cleans up the stains left behind with minimal effort on the pots. I'd just stick with soaking kegs, mine come spotless after sitting for a few days.

You soak your kegs that long? Usually i soak mine for about an hour, rinse a few times, sanitize and Im done.

You soak your kegs that long? Usually i soak mine for about an hour, rinse a few times, sanitize and Im done.

i soak and forget, its usually sitting there for a day or two before i remember to get back down to it. Rinse it, sanitize and then fill with CO2

i soak and forget, its usually sitting there for a day or two before i remember to get back down to it. Rinse it, sanitize and then fill with CO2

I only have 4 kegs right now, 3 to serve and the 4th one is carbonating/conditioning....I dont have a few days to forget about it, im always filling it back up right away!

AHA!

It suddenly dawns on me that you are not talking about Keggles but kegs used for dispensing after the beer is complete!:drunk:

I was wondering how OxyClean was going to get rid of hop-trub and boil over proteins that stick to the keg surface like old oatmeal on a bowl left on the counter for too long. :ban:

BKF also works really good for cleaning your fiberlass laundry tub/brewery sink.

Back