(How to clean my) Free Cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likwidbliss

Reaction score
I have a chance to get about 8 free 5 gallon corny kegs with hoses and taps. They do or did have soda syrup in them. I intend to dump the syrup, and rinse them. I want to kill anything living that might be in there. What is the best to use. I was thinking caustic, then a good water rinse.

:fro::rockin:

+1 on gaskets for sure...

Oxiclean + hot water overnight .. 2 scoops for 5 gal ... unscented magic..

PBW is another, but Oxi is cheaper

Also, disassemble all valves, springs, etc and let soak in a seperate bucket of oxyclean.

LOL, admin altered thread topic. Wise, don't want people to think I am giving them away.

I am going to pick them up and clean them, but what do I do with all those cornies now?

Thanks

If I were you, I would send 8 of them to me for cleaning. When I am done I will send all 5 back to you. Nice and spiffy.

If you don't want to disassemble, pressurize and run a bleach water mix through. This will dissinfect the valves and hose.

Oh and get now gaskets. Fo' sho'.

8 cornies is far too many for one person. 4 is plenty. You can keep 4, and send the rest to me (then I'll have 8) :)
Seriously, strip them down and replace the gaskets. Soak in OxiClean for a few hours, and rinse well. Then sanitize with Starsan or Iodophor before use.
I'd also try to keep the tops matched with the kegs they came with. I found that if you switch the tops, they sometimes leak.

-a.

8 cornies is far too many for one person. 4 is plenty.

I found that if you switch the tops, they sometimes leak.

what? i have 15 and at some point that won't be enough.

tell me about it. i have a few with bent tops or something that only like to seal with a peticular lid.

don;t leave bleach in for more then 15 minutes unless you want pitting (holes).

don't forget to scrub down the rubber ends and give a 'lil brasso rub-down. you'll never have to do it again in your lifetime and the beer/soda will feel a lot sexier.

Back