Hop suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRoles

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion on another hop/s to pair with my 2 oz. of liberty that I will be using for a red ale?

I was originally planning to use 1/2oz of liberty for bittering, another 1/2oz for aroma near flame out, and the remaining 1oz. to dry hop. I like a strong hop flavor, and Liberty is listed as having a pretty low alpha acid (3-5%) content, so with the addition of Fuggles or Sterling, would I be using the liberty hops in the most productive away to get a strong hop flavor?

If you want strong Liberty flavor, I would say you would need more. Maybe use a higher AA% hop for bittering and save all the Liberty for later in the boil so you get more of the aroma and flavor out of it. Use the Fuggles or Sterling as bittering at 60 min, then add the Liberty later, maybe 1 oz at 30 min, 1 oz at 10 min, then 1 oz in dry hop. You might want to get an idea of how much you are looking for in terms of IBU's and shoot for that.

Use the Fuggles or Sterling as bittering at 60 min, then add the Liberty later, maybe 1 oz at 30 min, 1 oz at 10 min, then 1 oz in dry hop.

+1 on Sterling for bittering. Liberty and Sterling are a perfect match. Use Sterling for bittering and Liberty for flavor and aroma, maybe with a little more Sterling late in the boil for added complexity. Aside from hops, what's your recipe?

Back