Actually, my kettle is iron and its getting rusty...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
A few days ago I threw my ceramic kettle on the cement because i was angry that my sister used it to wash her car, I thought it was aluminum so it wouldn't matter but now I see the parts where the ceramic chipped off are starting to rust... :( what can I do? Must I get a new kettle?

Thanks buddies!

Rust Stabilizer & Preventative. Get a bottle of the stuff at any hardware store and apply it to the rust spots. The product converts the red rust that flakes and dissolves easily to a black rust that does neither. (See black gamma magnetic hematite)

That means upgrade into a stainless pot, now you have a real excuse:) If you have a dark porcelain covered pot, the darkness makes it difficult to see any nasties as well.

Thirstyone said:
That means upgrade into a stainless pot, now you have a real excuse:) If you have a dark porcelain covered pot, the darkness makes it difficult to see any nasties as well.

Make sure you get something that's too big to wash a car with...

:fro:

I wouldn't use a pot with any rust at all, ever. Even if you 'rust convert". I think you'll ruin the next batch of beer as the acids in the wort dissolve the 'black rust'. My neighbor had to throw out 6 batchs before he found the culprit- chipped ceramic kettle.

Beer is good said:
A few days ago I threw my ceramic kettle on the cement because i was angry that my sister used it to wash her car, I thought it was aluminum so it wouldn't matter but now I see the parts where the ceramic chipped off are starting to rust... :( what can I do? Must I get a new kettle?

Thanks buddies!

First, you must apologize to your sister.

Secondly, you should admit that you're the bozo who broke it, and enroll in anger management classes while thanking your sister for pointing out how unreasonable you are.

Thirdly, you should beat the cr*p out of her for forcing you to face up to reality.:D

-a.

Back