Vanilla Stout Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterkc

Reaction score
Hello All, I am getting ready to brew a Vanilla Stout and was wondering if anyone has some advice as to when to add the real vanilla beans I have? I am just assuming that you chop them up and put them in with the boil to really get the flavor out of them, is this the right direction? Any help would be great.

Thanks

I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV, but here's my thought,

I would wait, chop them up, and put them in the secondary.

Everything I've heard about vanilla implies that alcohol extracts the flavor, and the secondary would be the best place for this to happen.

But, that's only my opinion...

Joe

:mug:
Primary - cleaning
Secondary - Idle
Conditioning - Uncle Bill's Blueberry Porter
Dotted Line Ale (a blond ale)
Drinking - Uncle Bill's India Porter

Yup, I've researched this topic and that seems to be the reco. Some say you don't need to bother sanitizing the beans, some say let it steep in bourbon or vodka, or even steam them for 10 minutes or so.

Hello All, I am getting ready to brew a Vanilla Stout and was wondering if anyone has some advice as to when to add the real vanilla beans I have? I am just assuming that you chop them up and put them in with the boil to really get the flavor out of them, is this the right direction? Any help would be great.

Thanks

I just made one that's happily living in the secondary at the moment. I added one whole vanilla been at the very end of the boil. I cut it in half lengthwise ala Alton Brown, scraped out the innards (seeds?) and dumped all into the kettle. I poured all of it, including the bean, into the primary. I sampled it when it went into the secondary (sans bean), and I was pleasantly surprised.

Guyotron, When you say end of the boil, you talking the last ten mins or when you cut the heat?

I have also heard to put them in the Secondary, problem is I don't do a secondary. So that kinda hose's me. Now I could put it in with the kegged brew, like I do hops with and IPA, but I don't think i would get even flavor. Also if you put in with the boil you don't need to worry to much about sanitation, give them a good rinse in water and boil away.

Thanks gents for the response. I will let ya know what I work out and how it turns out.

Definitely split it open lengthwise rather than just chopping it up. The goodies are inside the bean and you want to get at 'em.

I would do it in your primary iff you don't secondary. Wait for fermentation to finish and then add it at the end. Soaking it in vodka extracts some of the flavor and ensures sanitation.

Waterkc, I've mentioned this idea to a dozen guys at work and they all agree, it sounds amazing. I would assume a good oatmeal or cream stout would be perfect, but can you post your recipe or shoot it to me?

I've done both, when you cut the heat and in the secondary. When I've done it at the end of the boil (steeping for 5/10 min after you cut the heat) it seems to work better. Make sure either way you do split the bean in half and scoop out the innards and I've always made sure the bean itself gets into the fermenter to allow for more flavor to seep out. You get a nice suttle vanilla taste that's not to overpowering like you get with Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter, I think that has a little too much vanilla.

Guyotron, When you say end of the boil, you talking the last ten mins or when you cut the heat?

I have also heard to put them in the Secondary, problem is I don't do a secondary. So that kinda hose's me. Now I could put it in with the kegged brew, like I do hops with and IPA, but I don't think i would get even flavor. Also if you put in with the boil you don't need to worry to much about sanitation, give them a good rinse in water and boil away.

Thanks gents for the response. I will let ya know what I work out and how it turns out.

I did it when I cut the heat. Definitely imparted some nice vanilla overtones.

I haven't used vanilla beans in brewing yet, but as a chef, I would definitly recommend heating the bean to get full extraction of flavor. Most here are saying when you cut the heat, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with 0-10 mins left in the boil. And, like stated before, split the bean lengthwise and scrap out the seeds. Throw both the seeds and the bean pod into the boil together! Most of the flavor is in the seeds, but there is still a lot in that pod!

Latest posts

Back