california common fermentation length and temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjrandall

Reaction score
I brewed up a true brew California common today and I threw the wort in my 6.5 plastic gallon bucket. Right now its in my room which is 69 F , but I have been reading that maybe i should keep it at a lower temperature. Any california common experts out there? What temp should I keep it at and for how long ? I am using dry lager yeast by the way , but I also have a glass carboy that I want to use for the second fermentor, I just don't know when to switch it and what temp I should keep it at?

The White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast recommends 55F for fermentation, the recommended range on the packaging is 58-68F. It is the White Labs "Common" yeast.

Which dry yeast are you using?

I've always used the California Lager yeast from wyeast

I fermented in the mid 60's left if for a few weeks. One of my favorite beers to date. You don't have to use the seondary for this beer unless you need to for some reason

I'm no expert (I've made one CC) and I used Wyeast California Lager. Fermented at 60 for 3 weeks and then "lagered" in secondary at 45 (I think without looking at my notes) for 3 weeks. It was one of my best brews.

Not an expert, but I think you get a cleaner tasting beer with lower ferm temps. I ferment mine at 59-60F and then do a diacetyl rest at 68F for a few days at the end. All in the primary 3-4 weeks and then it's ready to bottle. Turns out great.

This is a steam beer. It is meant to be fermented at ale temperatures. So mind 60's is perfect. It's not a lager even though it uses lager yeast which is the point it's a hybrid style. I prefer mine like this, if I want a lager I will make a lager.........

this is a steam beer. It is meant to be fermented at ale temperatures. So mind 60's is perfect. It's not a lager even though it uses lager yeast which is the point it's a hybrid style. I prefer mine like this, if i want a lager i will make a lager.........

+1

Perfect timing on this one, I brewed my first batch of CC last Thursday. I have it in the ferm chamber set at 61 degrees.

Time to research methodology and benefits for "diacetyl rest"

Subscribed-

Slainte

slarkin712 said:
Not an expert, but I think you get a cleaner tasting beer with lower ferm temps. I ferment mine at 59-60F and then do a diacetyl rest at 68F for a few days at the end. All in the primary 3-4 weeks and then it's ready to bottle. Turns out great.

This is exactly how I just finished mine and it was great.

The california common form the TRUE BREW GOLD KIT is still in its primary bucket, on day two of fermenting.. Now the guy at the store told me after a few days it should stop bubbling, and then I can switch it to the secondary (glass carboy), but on here everyone is writing that you ferment it in the primary for a few weeks. THis guy only said a couple days.. So what do you think? How long do I keep it in the primary or how do I tell when its done? By the airlock? And then what about the secondary? How do I tell when its done in the secondary ? (I want a more refined brew so thats why I am using a secondary).. Thanks

There are threads on threads about the benefits and costs of using or not using secondary. The general consensus seems to be "do what you want."

The california common form the TRUE BREW GOLD KIT is still in its primary bucket, on day two of fermenting.. Now the guy at the store told me after a few days it should stop bubbling, and then I can switch it to the secondary (glass carboy), but on here everyone is writing that you ferment it in the primary for a few weeks. THis guy only said a couple days.. So what do you think? How long do I keep it in the primary or how do I tell when its done? By the airlock? And then what about the secondary? How do I tell when its done in the secondary ? (I want a more refined brew so thats why I am using a secondary).. Thanks

Transferring your beer to secondary after a few days is WAY too soon. Even if active fermentation finishes after a couple days (and it's not always done even if the airlock doesn't show activity), there's still byproducts created by the yeast that need to get cleaned up, and prematurely transferring to secondary can inhibit that cleanup. I would recommend skipping the secondary entirely. If you do opt to secondary it, as long as you do so after fermentation is fully completed, then it's up to you how long you leave it. For a Cal Common, I'd only secondary if I were going to dry hop (and then I'd just dry hop in primary) or lager it.

Also, airlock bubbling means next to nothing. It's probably the least reliable indicator of fermentation activity. If your fermenter has a poor seal, you might never see bubbles and still have a healthy fermentation. You could also have bubbles from release of CO2 even if there's no fermentation. And just because bubbles stop doesn't mean fermentation has stopped. The only, ONLY way to tell if your beer is truly done is with a hydrometer. Consistent gravity readings over a span of 3 days means it's done. If it changes over three days, it's still going. And even if it's done, I'd give it another week after that (see point in first paragraph).

Definitely more than a couple of days. I just did one too. Primary at 64 degrees for 19 days. Then Into secondary going on 7 days now. I will probably bottle it next week some time. You need a hydrometer to truly know when it is done fermenting. You can get by without one but then you will have to error on the side of longer and be patient, hard to do when you are newer at brewing and just want to get a beer to drink.....

Cheers and stuff!!!

There are threads on threads about the benefits and costs of using or not using secondary. The general consensus seems to be "do what you want."

I wasn't asking about using a secondary fermenter or not, I said I was going to because I wanted a more refined brew.. my question is, I DO HAVE a hydrometer and I used it in my wort before the yeast, and it read about 5.5 on the alcohol % level. My question is, at what point should I switch it from primary to secondary? WHat should my hydrometer read? And is it bad to open the lid off your primary or should it be a quick thing? I am using a california common .

I wasn't asking about using a secondary fermenter or not, I said I was going to because I wanted a more refined brew.. my question is, I DO HAVE a hydrometer and I used it in my wort before the yeast, and it read about 5.5 on the alcohol % level. My question is, at what point should I switch it from primary to secondary? WHat should my hydrometer read? And is it bad to open the lid off your primary or should it be a quick thing? I am using a california common .

and most of us are going to tell you that "a more refined brew" and "secondary" have nothing to do with one another. Don't waste your time with a secondary. no it's not bad to open the lid on your primary. you have to do it if your going to take gravity readings. just make sure everything is sanitized and don't leave the top off for long periods.

two_one_seven said:
this is a steam beer. It is meant to be fermented at ale temperatures. So mind 60's is perfect. It's not a lager even though it uses lager yeast which is the point it's a hybrid style. I prefer mine like this, if i want a lager i will make a lager.........

+1

and most of us are going to tell you that "a more refined brew" and "secondary" have nothing to do with one another. Don't waste your time with a secondary. no it's not bad to open the lid on your primary. you have to do it if your going to take gravity readings. just make sure everything is sanitized and don't leave the top off for long periods.

+1 to this. Using a secondary in this case doesn't get you a more refined beer. Let it ferment in the right temp range, with enough time and the right amount of yeast pitched and you'll get the refined beer you are wanting.

These guys are trying to help you out here. It's akin to somebody asking how to shoot up with heroin and nobody stopping to say "that's bad for you, dude".

Secondary buckets or carboys seem to be standard in most homebrew kits but they aren't necessary or even recommended anymore by the majority of homebrewers. I know it feels like you SHOULD use it because you have it and the guy (or the instructions) said to, but don't. Let the yeast do their thing in the primary for 2-3 weeks and you'll be golden without the risk of oxidation or infection that comes with any transfer.

If you're really dead set on transferring, wait 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back