Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigBrew, we'll definitely get another one going eventually, maybe not for some months though, but there will be more.

I just got my mill today, don't know who made it. It's just in a generic box that says Model No.500. My front plate is pretty sturdy from what I see so far, no wobble really. Now I just got to get a nice setting for a good crush. I'm sure it'll take a while to get it right. +1 for a permanent grind "station"

im with you farmerjoe, lol, im still working on my "homemade" roller crusher. well tinkering with it to work properly.. right now im trying to make a stir plate. (need 120 mm fan, and more hard drive magnets/ dead hard drive.)

if anyone has those that would be awesome!

sorry bigbrew, there probably will be defiantly another one this summer sometime.

Doh! how'd I miss this:drunk:

let me know how many you are interested in and I will put you on the sheet and let you know next time around. Just an estimate of how many bags, you aren't committing to anything until we restart.

Anyone got an extra bag of american. Id be willing to throw a little extra as im getting sick of being taken for 2.00+ a pound at my lhbs. Ill be in Syracuse this weekend. If not id like in on the next buy or if anyone knows a decent local place in rochester or syracuse to buy.

Anyone got an extra bag of american. Id be willing to throw a little extra as im getting sick of being taken for 2.00+ a pound at my lhbs. Ill be in Syracuse this weekend. If not id like in on the next buy or if anyone knows a decent local place in rochester or syracuse to buy.

I know my bags are spoken for, but I can let you know about the next time around. From the looks of the requests, if interest keeps coming in we might be considering an order sooner than I had thought. As for reasonable grain prices locally... that is what forced my hand in getting a grain buy going....

Please keep posting interest and estimated bags you would like to buy:
If interest continues we might be looking to start up another order.

If there are several people in a somewhat distant location (rochester/albany) we may be able to work a combined effort to have one car coming for bag pickup for several people (i.e. network with each other).

Rustbucket, I have an extra hard drive that died years ago in my closet. Shoot me a pm and I'll send that magnet out to you.

Looks like we're going to get enough interest quickly for future orders. Good to see

I know of at least 4 bags for sure. Possibly 8

Sounds good - keep poking around.

I won't be able to get this started up tonight, but I am thinking I am going to check in with the buyer and restart an order either this or early next week - will let you know.

Link back to the start to get the codes from NCM for your orders. When you order all the information you need is on this link.

Ok everyone..... ROUND 2

It looks like a lot of people missed out last time and we are going to make a break for round two. I have a list of inquiries from people that missed out the first time. Thos people will get preference to fill this order first, but I think we have plenty of room if you missed something on your previous order.

Please go back to the start and read my first thread starter for more information (see the edits at the bottom)

I will give people about a week to respond if they missed the first order, after that, it goes by a first come first serve basis.

Remember if you send me an order DO give me the Codes i.e. CM-2ROW - 2 bags (do not say, 2 bags of 2row).

Note: Based on our last order, I would avoid the GW Pale and 2ROW - they were out of stock for the season. The replacement they offered was the Canadian Malting Group products (CM-PALE and CM-2ROW).

I will reach out to everyone who expressed interest and post up a tally on the order in about a week or sooner if I hear back from everyone.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ok, I'll start! CM-2row-1bag, Briess-Golden Light DME-1 bag. Is 73.50 the right price for 50 lbs. of dme? That seems real cheap!

i am interested in splitting any specialty grains if anyone else is looking for some.

But you can count me in for a bag of Pislner as well (I was kicking myself for not getting one on the last buy)

i am interested in splitting any specialty grains if anyone else is looking for some.

But you can count me in for a bag of Pislner as well (I was kicking myself for not getting one on the last buy)

Interested in chocolate malt?

Anyone from NYC ever order in this group? I'd be down for a couple of bags but I'm assuming its too far away to get involved?

farmerjoe, im good, my buddy had 2 old hard drives dating back to the mid 90's so they had HUGE magnets in there.. got my stir plate working today! ha

next. finish my barley crusher... get that properly working and im business for all this grain that i got!

Brooklynbrewclub, i believe, im not sure if it has gone through yet, but there is always a jersey group buy going on.

Hey Brooklyn, I live up in Albany and I just went in on the first round of this. I know it's still about 2 and half hours away from NYC, but it's closer than going to Syracuse. I may be buying some grain this time as well, so I could get it from cuse and you could pick it up from me, if that works for you. I'm not 100% sure if I'm buying, but if it interests you, I may pick up some for myself too. The Jersey group buy might also interest you though since it'll probably be a bit closer.

Rustbucket, no problem, just means more magnets for me! Lol

Ok, I'll start! CM-2row-1bag, Briess-Golden Light DME-1 bag. Is 73.50 the right price for 50 lbs. of dme? That seems real cheap!

Yup this looks correct - of course there will be shipping (about 6bucks per bag)

OK - the word is out. I have the following towards the order so far with the following notes. Two of my buddies missed out on the order last time so I have myself marked up for one of their orders.

Status

CidahMastah BZ-WHT x1
CidahMastah CM-2ROW x1
CidahMastah BD-MOPA x1
CidahMastah TF-CHOC x.5
CidahMastah BD-BLCK x.33
Billie CM-2ROW x1
Billie 5748 - Golden Light Dry x1
Clef051 CM-2ROW x1
DannSchuler BZ-PILS x1
DannSchuler BD-BLCK x.33
jhenderson27 CM-2ROW x2
jhenderson27 TF-CHOC x.5
Chrisp522 CM-2ROW x1
Chrisp522 BD-MOPA x1
FL Brewer BD-MOPA x1
FL Brewer TF-CHOC x1
FL Brewer 5347 x1 Briess_CaraPils Malt
FL Brewer TF-FLBR x1
FL Brewer CM-PALE x1
kzhusker CM-PALE x1
FarmerJoe BD-BLCK x.33

Need: 42 Total
Have: 18

*Specialty Grain Splitting:
*Anybody who wants to go in on .33 a bag of Black Patent please let CidahMastah or DannSchuler know.

1. CidahMastah
Interested in:
.25 or .33 (or less) of Pilsner or golden DME - starters!! (Need 2-3+ people)
2. Dannschuler
.50 for Any Crystal/Carmel Malts
.50 for Chocolate Malt

Notes:
*For ordering (and other general) instructions Click this link
*I sent a PM out to everyone who missed out last time (if you didn't order already). I will give it a bit for preference on the people who did not make the last order, then it is open season.

Im waiting to hear back from others. Personally I want 2 bags of cm-2 row.
Cidah ill go halves on the choc malt with you.
I will update when I hear back from the others on more.

BD-MOPA x1 Baird’s_Maris Otter
TF-CHOC x1 Thomas Faucett_Chocolate Malt
5347 x1 Briess_CaraPils Malt
TF-FLBR x1 Thomas Faucett_Flaked Barley
CM-PALE x1 Canadian Malting_Superior Pale Ale Malt

Please/Thank You

I will split Choc, Black Patent or any caramel specialty grains.

Dannschuler - I will split a bag of black patent - would love to get a third on it, but if we can't no sweat - are you cool with that? What brand did you want to do?

I might do some caramel stuff, but I am trying to find out what my next most used CXX grain is :) I just split a bag of C40 so I am good there. Was thinking maybe C60, 80 or 120, but I am being indecisive. Let me think on it a bit, unless you have a preference. I wish they had special B....

I will split the Black Patent with you, either half or third if someone else wants in. As for brand i dont know the difference between them, so if you have any insight i am happy to go with whatever.

I dont really have a preference, i have no specialy grains in inventory so i am willing to take some of anything just get stocked up.

Lets go with BD-BLCK for the black malt. Let me check some of my up and comings and we can see about that crystal.

I'd be willing to go in on 1/3 of black patent with you guys, and a 1/3 of crystal too if that's cool. Only thing is, cidah, it might take me a bit longer to pick up this time around depending on when the order is put through. I'm pretty busy to travel for the next 3-4 weeks, so if you don't mind holding on to my shares a bit longer, I'm willing to get in on this. I might also want another bag too, but I'll need to think about which.

Edit:
C60 or 80 would sound good to me for crystal. I also wish they had special b.

I'd be willing to go in on 1/3 of black patent with you guys, and a 1/3 of crystal too if that's cool. Only thing is, cidah, it might take me a bit longer to pick up this time around depending on when the order is put through. I'm pretty busy to travel for the next 3-4 weeks, so if you don't mind holding on to my shares a bit longer, I'm willing to get in on this. I might also want another bag too, but I'll need to think about which.

Edit:
C60 or 80 would sound good to me for crystal. I also wish they had special b.

No problem on the hold time farmerjoe.

sounds good on the black malt and crystal to me

Dannschuler and Farmerjoe:

What say you guys about splitting three bags of crystal?

1/3 - Crystal 60
1/3 - Crystal 80
1/3 - Crystal 120

OK - the word is out. I have the following towards the order so far with the following notes. Two of my buddies missed out on the order last time so I have myself marked up for one of their orders.

Status

CidahMastah BZ-WHT x1
CidahMastah CM-2ROW x1
CidahMastah BD-MOPA x1
CidahMastah TF-CHOC x.5
CidahMastah BD-BLCK x.33
CidahMastah C60 x.33
CidahMastah C80 x.33
CidahMastah C120 x.33
Billie CM-2ROW x1
Billie 5748 - Golden Light Dry x1
Clef051 CM-2ROW x1
DannSchuler BZ-PILS x1
DannSchuler BD-BLCK x.33
DannSchuler C60 x.33
DannSchuler C80 x.33
DannSchuler C120 x.33
jhenderson27 CM-2ROW x2
jhenderson27 TF-CHOC x.5
Chrisp522 CM-2ROW x1
Chrisp522 BD-MOPA x1
FL Brewer BD-MOPA x1
FL Brewer TF-CHOC x1
FL Brewer 5347 x1 Briess_CaraPils Malt
FL Brewer TF-FLBR x1
FL Brewer CM-PALE x1
kzhusker CM-PALE x1
FarmerJoe BD-BLCK x.33
FarmerJoe C60 x.33
FarmerJoe C80 x.33
FarmerJoe C120 x.33

Need: 42 Total
Have: 21

*Specialty Grain Splitting:

Notes:
*For ordering (and other general) instructions Click this link
*I sent a PM out to everyone who missed out last time (if you didn't order already). I will give it a bit for preference on the people who did not make the last order, then it is open season.

Damn you, you convinced me lol. Which one we going with? And we're still doing black patent?

Cool - looks like us three are in on thirds for:
Black patent

awesome!

sweet, works for me.

You can remove my note for a split of chocolate, i think this will be enough to hold me over for a while.

Oh yea, I'm sure these specialty grains are going to hold me over for quite a while too

Back