Glass Etching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipster

Reaction score
I recently decided that my christmas gifts this year would be of the homebrew variety. I really would love to give out some glasses and half gallon jugs (full of course) with my brewery name on them. Has anyone made an attempt at this before? What are the possible issues? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

yes, it works great! I etch my carboys in half gallon incraments... if you want to put names and such on the bottles, then I would get a kit like this which will allow you to make stencils and not have to worry about hte little pieces for inside letters and such.

yes, it works great! I etch my carboys in half gallon incraments... if you want to put names and such on the bottles, then I would get a kit like this which will allow you to make stencils and not have to worry about hte little pieces for inside letters and such.

I thought about them, the only trouble is that I'd rather spend the 200 bucks on brewing supplies than one of the kits, just for the "ultiviolet exposure units. "

Anyone know with you can just expose the film with a bright light bulb? I'd love to use the film, but I have enough single purpose gizmo and very little storage space in my loft...

But yeah skipster, I know a couple of brewclubs that glass etch glasswear with their logos and give it as gifts for their tastings. Armour etch is pretty good stuff...I used it years ago.

Also someone on here has a thread for using it to etch measurement units on their carboys.

For a wedding gift I took 12 fishbowl to a glass shop and had them sandblasted with initials...turned out great. They said it was the best gift the got so its my standby go to gift.

go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and get "Frosted Glass" spray. a can costs about 6 dollars. make a template to spray. cut it out and then spray and there u go. a low cost solution
i have done this for architecture models in school. it works well

Got these for Christmas from my awesome wife. I think they turned out great.
The company is that did them also has pitchers and other glassware.

DSC01540.JPG

DSC016131.JPG

I'm planning on doing glass etching using this stencil

Making a PhotoEZ Stencil

the "UV Exposure Unit" described above is the sun... so that's free!

Kit is like $50, then you'll need to find glass etching solution.

Also planning on using mine to make some silk-screened t-shirts

Holy thread resurrection, batman!

Can we use starsan at a strong concentration (or undiluted) to etch glass?

The etching solution would probably be cheaper than using pure Starsan. And the starsan probably wouldn't work. give it a shot. Put a blob on a glass wait. 20 minutes and rinse it off.

And yes, Ressurection for sure. Why didn't you just start a new thread?

sorry man but 50 bucks may sound salty but with art setup, application and actual etching, (depending on artwork detail)than finish processing it seems reasonable to me.

my wife and i do glass etching as a small home business.i do beer mugs and wine glasses mainly but also xmas ornaments and mirrors as well as metal etching and multi stage etching.i just did a edge lit piece with two little boys pictures on it for mothers day.

with me for another 50 you could have gotten another 3 glasses and a pitcher.

not trying to spam your thread though.i am a beer novice as well as wine junky and was searching recipes when i found this and had to chime in.:mug:

Nah I know 50 was a fair price for the 3 mugs. I was just thinking that I could buy the kit and the glass etching solution for around the same price and with a bit of work have a template that I could use to etch lots of mugs and my carboys etc. I posted a thread in the photos section to show the mugs.

Back