Best Christmas recipe you have brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolute99

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting together a 10 gallon batch of Christmas ale in a couple of weeks. I'm having a hard time deciding what recipe to brew.

I like just about all of them I have came a crossed, but I am looking for a big in your face spice flavor.

anyone have good experience with their batches in the past, I haven't once came across a recipe that has any further details on how the batch turned out.

thanks

If by "best" you also mean "only," then I brewed a Christmas ale a few years back. It was very dark like a stout, but it was fairly hoppy and had a lot of spice, particularly allspice. I could dig out the recipe if you like. It was one I found on the 'net somewhere.

I was pretty pleased with how it came out, but I thought it tasted better the following Christmas when it had been in the bottle something like 18 months.

Reindeer Fuel may be the first, but as of today it's potentially an all time best.

The stout is as good as stout gets (1 week old) The coffee is pretty good, and I expect it to change a lot in the next 3 or 4 months...then gets pout away till next year when LOOK OUT BABY!

Another one and only from back in 1996 or so, I brewed one up in July in Albuquerque thinking that it would be just ready for the Holidays. It was an extract + steeping grains colonial porter with Dark LME, Pale DME, some chocolate malt and probably some black patent too, 16oz of blackstrap molasses, like maybe an oz of some kind of hops at 60 and a decent portion of Republic of Teas Cardamom, Cinnamon Ginger tea, which also had pink peppercorns in it.

I brewed this at a friends house and he did a good job of keeping it cool despite the heat and the fact that the house only had a swamp cooler. It took the spices and molasses quite a while to blend together, and the pink peppercorns really dominated the other flavors from the tea, followed by the crystalized ginger. I drank a few at Christmas, but they weren't very good even at 6 months so I just put them away for a while and forgot about them and they were eventually much better.

thanks the Reindeer Fuel looks pretty good. I just hope I can come across the spiced coffee this time of year. I think I will give it a shot, plus I have two US-05 cakes that will be ready. but they are both in fermentation buckets. I won't have any open carboy's at the time. I'm would only be worried about blow off.

Back