Fermentation temps for Belgian Triple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9/9

Collembola!
Reaction score
So, I will be trying my first triple, and I have some questions about the fermentation temp.

I am using Wyeast 3787 (and suggested by the recipe in BYO), and the recipe says to ferment near the top of the suggested temps for the yeast, which the Wyeast site lists as 78F. However, I have read here that with Belgian beers you usually want to start with lower temps and then raise into the higher ones.

So, what is the best schedule for this? My original plan would be to pitch around 65F, keep it as close to 65F for about the first 48 hours. Then, raise it to about 70F over the next 24 hours, to 75F over the next 24 hours after that and then maintain a temp around 75F for the rest of the primary fermentation.

Does this sound reasonable? Any other suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance. I don't know what I would do without this place.

Yeah, I just listened to the Jamil Show on making strong dark Belgian beers, and from what he said about yeast wrangling, I'd say you've got it pretty much nailed.

If you want to adhere to your schedule, go for it. I think you should discuss the plan with your yeast before you marry yourself to it, however. Who knows if they're going to like your schedule? ;)

You could pitch it at 65 and let it ramp up on its own. Keep an eye on it - or just set your fermentation chamber control to ~70 and forget about it until fermentation is finished. Remember, at homebrew scales, temperature inside the pitched wort is ~5oF higher than ambient temperature during fermentation. So setting your controller to 70 - with an offset of +/- 3oF - means your beer could actually get as warm as 78-80 in the middle of the fermenter. Not necessarily a bad thing, even with Tripel.

Cheers,

Bob

Back