Joining the Magic Chef ranks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Had a handful of gift cards so I visited the numbskulls over at Home Depot.

I wired the Love controller into a heavy duty extension cord, breaking the hot wire on the normally closed side of the relay, as I've seen in some images on this site.

keezer1.jpg

I put the probe in through the drain hole for the time being. Jammed a cotton ball in the hole to seal it up. Eventually I hope to make a more integrated setup; this was proof-of-concept more or less.

And here's the view inside. Two Better Bottles just barely cannot fit on the bottom. I'll have to build a collar before I can get a second carboy in there.

keezer2.jpg

Once I finally realized I had to set d0 to Heat instead of Cool, it went from 75 to 60 in about 5 minutes.

So why are we setting it to Heat? Wouldn't it make just as much sense to set it to Cool and use the normally open side of the relay?

-Joe

So why are we setting it to Heat? Wouldn't it make just as much sense to set it to Cool and use the normally open side of the relay?

-Joe

You've got it wired up backwards. I did the same thing when I was testing my fermentation cabinets and received the new version of the Love controller...

I forget exactly what it was doing as I realized my mistake pretty quick, but it was not behaving properly at all that way.

You've got it wired up backwards. I did the same thing when I was testing my fermentation cabinets and received the new version of the Love controller...
I originally had it hooked up to the normally open side of the box, just based on how I thought things should work. Then I found this thread here with wiring diagrams from two different members that showed the same thing. From EdWort's post:

love_ts13010_16a_wiring.jpg

Both images clearly show the power going to the normally closed side, and I found a different post saying to set d0 to Ht. So I thought there was a reason it was being done this way.

-Joe

Back