Homebrew Seized in Chevak ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They said 20 gallons of homebrew and only 8 bottles, all worth $1200. So that's $150 for 2.5 gallons per bottle. Translates to $5.63 per 12 oz. So its either really good/expensive beer, or something else.

Lol their street prices are completely ridiculous:

WAANT says Jimmy almost smuggled ten point five ounces of marijuana and eight bottles of alcohol with her to Chefornak. The pot had a street value of $14-thousand nine-hundred ($14,900) dollars, the booze had a street value of $1-thousand two hundred ($1,200) dollars.

$1419/oz, loll

They said 20 gallons of homebrew and only 8 bottles, all worth $1200. So that's $150 for 2.5 gallons per bottle. Translates to $5.63 per 12 oz. So its either really good/expensive beer, or something else.

Those are two different stories with two different amounts of alcohol. The first only specified 8 bottles of alcohol, worth $1200. They are probably hard liquor. The second was 20 gallons of homebrew and it said they guy was on probation.

Also, I agree with bovineblitz. DAMN that is some expensive reefer. lol

There are a lot of dry areas where alcohol is a huge problem and basically is treated like any other illegal drug.

Alcohol abuse in rural Alaska is a prevalent, and persistent problem. Alcohol abuse, not illegal drugs, is the primary cause of violent crime in rural Alaska.

Local Option

Almost 30 years ago the Alaska legislature passed a “local option” law designed to help communities combat alcohol abuse, and the related problems of fetal alcohol syndrome, domestic violence, sexual abuse, suicide, accidental deaths, juvenile crime, and violent crime.

Dry towns

The provisions of the local option law are complex, in part because the regulations have been amended over time, but the essence of the law states that communities can hold elections to decide whether they will be designated a dry, damp or wet community. In a dry community, alcohol is prohibited. It cannot be legally imported, produced, sold or consumed within the community by anyone. Of the 200 or so isolated, rural towns and villages in Alaska, approximately 136 have voted to become dry.

Damp Towns

The hub communities in rural Alaska, such as Barrow, Bethel, Kotzebue, and Dillingham provide medical, social, legal, and transportation services to the smaller villages in their region. Most of the hub towns are damp. This means limited amounts of alcohol can be imported for personal use. Each community sets its own limits for the type and amount of alcohol that can be imported, and determines the penalties for violations. In most communities illegally importing or selling alcohol is a class C felony.

Wet Towns

Larger towns such as Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau are wet. These communities have liquor stores, grocery stores that sell beer and wine, and restaurants and bars that serve alcohol. Retailers in these communities are required to know and obey the local option laws when shipping alcohol to rural communities. Recently, a statewide database that tracks alcohol purchases and shipments to damp communities has been established. It is hoped the database will catch offenders who order from multiple suppliers in order to violate importation limitations.

Bootlegging and Smugglers

Though the local option provision has been in place for several years, alcohol abuse remains a prevalent problem in the bush due to bootlegging and smuggling. The Alaska State Troopers Drug and Alcohol Report explains that these are very lucrative crimes. A bottle of liquor costing only $10 in an urban liquor store will sell for $50 in a damp hub-town like Kotzebue or Barrow, and more than $150 a in a dry village like Point Hope or Selewick.

The short answer for my job is that if I or my techs travel into the Bush for work, we avoid taking alcohol with us.
For hunting or fishing trips, I tend to be very discrete with anything I pack.

Wow. That's crazy. I have heard of dry towns. But that just meant they don't sell alcohol. You could still bring whatever you wanted for personal consumption.

from my understanding (and memory so.. ) the alcohol problem with the Inuit/Eskimo people stems from their genealogy and their not developing the ability to metabolize alcohol like we do .. makes alcohol a much uglier scene. I learned all this when i was chasing after a girl way up in the Northwest Territories, above Yellowknife.

Back